The Crown Estate Round 3 Auctions, December 2009
Yorkshire coast in the southern North Sea
SMart Wind, the joint venture between Mainstream and Siemens Project Ventures, was formed in December 2009 to bid in The Crown Estate's Round 3 Programme. It successfully won the 4 GW Hornsea Zone and established a team to develop the project in a phased approach. Hornsea One (1.2 GW) was consented by Mainstream and developed Hornsea Two (1.4 GW) before selling these projects and the Zone to Danish utility, Ørsted in August 2015.
SMart Wind achieved its Triple Certification by Lloyds Register for Quality Assurance (LRQA) for its integrated Management System for Safety, Health, Environment and Quality. The certification verified standards complied with internationally recognised, ISO 9001, ISO14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards.
It implemented the world's first twisted jacket foundation at the Hornsea One site for its met mast, funded in partnership with The Carbon Trust and DONG Energy. The novel foundation design aimed to significantly reduce foundation CAPEX costs.
SMart Wind joined forces with the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Network (STEMNET) to launch SMart Futures. The 4-year educational programme raised awareness and highlighted routes to
careers in offshore wind and renewables. It also launched the UK's first training tower in collaboration with with the New and Renewable Energy Centre (NAREC). The facility, pioneered by SMart Wind, allowed education and training providers to deliver academic and industrial training programmes for technicians working at height.
During the development stage, the SMart Wind team achieved a number of development highlights:
- 2010/ Contract won from The Crown Estate to develop 4 GW Hornsea zone.
- 2010/ Launched SMart Futures schools programme.
- 2011/ £60m GeoTech agreement signed with Fugro.
- 2011/ Signed Agreement for Lease with The Crown Estate.
- 2011/ Successfully installed Round 3's first met mast.
- 2011/ Secured grid capacity for 3,000 MW.
- 2011/ Gained triple certification award from Lloyds Register.
- 2012/ Received The Crown Estate Marine Award.
- 2012/ Held Community events across the Region as part of the stakeholder plan.
- 2014/ Development Consent Order received for Hornea One (1.2 GW).
- 2015/ Hornsea Two (1,4 GW) consent submitted to the Planning Inspectorate.
- 2015/ Sold Hornsea One, Hornsea Two and remainder of Zone to Ørsted.