Thinking sustainably in project development and the workplace, South Africa
Our employees are determined to ensure that they reduce their carbon footprint at the workplace as far as possible. One of the company’s core shared values is “Sustainability” and staff are committed to putting this into practice through not only the projects they are involved in but also through initiatives taken at the office and their homes.
- At our Round 1 solar PV construction sites, there are solar/diesel hybrid system that power the construction offices.
- There are waste diversion programmes where all useful wood and cardboard have been donated to the local community.
- Solar powered lighting has been installed around the perimeter fences as well as at the security huts at the site entrance, with a further consequential reduction in CO2 emissions and fossil fuel use.
- At our Jeffreys Bay wind farm site, concrete used in the foundations is environmentally-friendly and “low carbon” as it includes 40% fly ash from the Kriel coal-fired power station.
- The security system is powered by solar panels and, rainwater harvesting systems have been installed at the substation and operations and maintenance building.
- In addition, cable drums and waste timber have been delivered to the SPCA in Humansdorp and will be used to erect fencing.