- Engage with OEM’s to determine specifications of plant.
- Approve technical content of any changes made by OEM’s.
- Develop and document SCADA and RTU programs.
- Manage and programme all on-site HMI’s.
- Integrate and manage all wired and wireless Ethernet and Serial data networks.
- Facilitates integration of communication and control systems.
- Download, analyse and process all metering and supply quality data.
- Prepare Signal List Testing documentation for RETEC submission.
- Liaise with RETEC and the NSP with respect to statutory evaluations.
- Assist with the management of the Data Analytics Centre.
- Ensure the facilities have the latest Cyber Security firmware and software.
- Evaluating new products for application and integration based on parameters such as functionality, integrity and performance.
- Perform regular tests and assessments to ensure that the equipment operates as per design.
- Ensure the facility remains compliant to any changes in the Grid Codes.
- Analyse the installed equipment to ensure it stays aligned with modern technologies and implement changes where necessary.
- Supporting the Construction Team on Utility interactions
- Support the Construction Team with grid connection and energisation.
- Audit all Handover documentation.
- Assist the department with NERSA audits.
- Contribute in investigations into causes of non-compliance.
- Determining and implementing applicable mitigation strategies.
- Compilation of reports and training material if required.
- Compiling discipline-specific technical instructions and bulletins for field implementation to mitigate risks of developed technologies.
- Monitoring the development of solutions to solve problems.
Performance and Data
- Programme the Data Analytics Centre HMI to reflect the facility status accurately.
- Monitor system performance as per the required standards.
- Make recommendations and implement changes to enhance performance monitoring.
- Investigate causes of poor performance and recommend an improvement strategy.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and reporting is carried out in line with the applicable Agreements and Grid Codes.
- Ensure all data systems are functional and backed up.
- Ensure that the Metering data is available, accurate and downloaded monthly for billing purposes.
- Automate reporting from the Data Analysis Centre Software.
- Custodian of Data History (Archives)
Key requirements for success in the role:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 3 Years of experience in either Engineering IT Systems, SCADA, Network Design, Network Operations or other related Utility experience.
- Good knowledge of the Renewable Energy and related Grid Codes.
- Good knowledge of Metering systems, installation and data evaluation.
- Good knowledge of the operation of RTU’s. (Modbus, SQL, DNP3 / IEC 61850 etc)
- Be flexible in terms of working and travel arrangements.
- Regular national travel and international travel will be required as part of the job (driving licence Code B essential, no criminal record or past infringements, no previous Visa rejections).
- Have excellent communication, writing and people skills.
- Extensive use of Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows.
- Fluent in the English language (written and spoken).
Preference will be given to Candidates that have the following Experience:
- SCADA, Engineering IT and Communications systems.
- Understanding of wind turbine/solar PV technologies
- Knowledge of wind farm/solar farm operations.
- Knowledge of the national HSE and Electrical Standards of South Africa.
- Knowledge of Utility Connections and protection.
This position is based in Cape Town and will require regular travel within South Africa.
The company operates in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act), Act 3 of 2013, and by submitting their personal information to us (through the application form, CV and other documentation as required during the recruitment process), candidates agree that the company may utilise their personal information as directed by POPIA.