Summary of Role:
As the Quality Health & Safety and Environmental (SHEQ) Manager, you will provide expert advice and implement strategy in relation to development, construction and operation of Mainstream’s projects and associated works. You will also be responsible for all necessary actions to ensure that relevant Health & Safety, Environmental and Security applicable legislation is adhered to and policies and practices are adopted. You will plan, implement, monitor and review the protective and preventative measures that will ensure Mainstream’s business activities are carried out without exposing projects and sites to an unmanageable level of risk, breach of legal compliance and interruption, with a number of SHEQ specific targets mainly focused in reducing risk, harm to people and environment.
What you will do?
The SHEQ Manager’s key responsibilities comprise of the following:
- Develop market specific SHEQ processes, within Mainstream’s global best practice, Quality, Environment, Health, Safety strategy and agenda for Vietnam and APAC countries, either for development, construction or operational sites.
- Promotion of Mainstream culture of continuous SHEQ improvement and to share good practice across the company. Plan practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices.
- Liaise with Global SHEQ colleagues, including other functional area managers to ensure that SHEQ plans and best practices are being shared and adopted.
- Propose and lead continuous improvement and operationalization of SHEQ program, procedures, and tools to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and Best Practices.
- Assist local management in keeping accountability to all employees.
- Be competent advisor on Quality, Environment, Health, Safety legislation in Vietnam and APAC countries. This includes, monitoring compliance with applicable laws and regulations, keep abreast of emerging SHEQ regulations for applicability and implementation as well as the Environmental and Safety management systems under ISO program 14001 and 45001.
- Coordinate and organize in-house SHEQ training with managers and employees regarding key issues including lessons learnt.
- Participate as a key member of local leadership team, taking and active pragmatic role in driving compliance solutions and simplification through the business cycles.
- Understand, promote and enforce with management team all relevant SHEQ applicable regulations and policies in undertaken activities.
- Carry out risk assessments and incident investigations of significant incidents which identify and take account of relevant hazards. Support business growth by leading risk mitigation and SHEQ productivity enhancements by producing a comprehensive risk register.
- Interface with external bodies such as government agencies to ensure legal/policy compliance and participate in any subsequent communication to stakeholders within the business
- Support management fulfil Mainstream’s “duty of care” obligations by reviewing and providing comments on Risk Assessment and Method Statements (RAMs) provided by vendors, contractors and other sources.
- Coordinate site-level internal and external audits to develop and promptly implement action plans and provide appropriate supporting to corrective actions. This also considers his/her participation in SHEQ audits with impartial approach and support to sites.
- Support the application and submission of SHEQ permits for operational and construction sites, whereas Mainstream has shareholder ownership.
- Make appropriate requests for resources to ensure proper management of regulated substance requirements regarding restrictions and prohibitions related to environmental aspects of products.
- Assist Construction and Operations SHEQ Officers/Advisors with construction stage and operational compliance. This includes the preparation and review of contract documentation and scopes of work and in the selection and management of contractors.
- Respond to consultations and contribute to external SHEQ related studies/research/working groups as per requirement from Mainstream .
- Evaluate SHEQ requirements across Development markets as required.
- Develop SHEQ integrated management system, including preparation and dissemination of all relevant documentation, development of appropriate safety standards, reporting and information chains and emergency management.
- Produce management SHEQ reports, newsletters and bulletins as required.
- Provide SHEQ all necessary information and reporting to Mainstream Global SHEQ and Board in its behalf when required.
- Monitor and align Vietnam and APAC countries sites against Mainstream’s Global SHEQ targets, also support any global SHEQ initiative, and development projects needs in new markets in Vietnam and APAC countries.
- Global SHEQ– be cognisant and adhere to global SHEQ manager/head directives, requirements and policies. Establish a platform or work with Global SHEQ as well as a line of communication for alignment and performance management of Vietnam and APAC sites upon demand.
- Country Development Director / General Manager Asia Pacific – Monitor and inform SHEQ performance across construction, operational and development projects under GM responsibility, using local information and data to trend and develop forecasts and plans to reduce exposure to SHEQ risks timely fashion.
- Annual targets – meet targets and expectations as agreed with Global SHEQ and Market General Manager.
- The candidate should be equipped with the following key skills and experience:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team, coordinate and enthuse colleagues and consultants
- Strong initiative and the ability to proactively identify required tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to maintain sight of the ‘big picture’ and overarching objectives at all times
- Good IT skills, including experience with MS Word, Excel and Project packages.
- An organised approach to working, task prioritisation and time management
- Fluent in English and Vietnamese languages (written and spoken); fluency in other languages is considered an advantage.
Education and Experience
- Relevant qualification, NEBOSH Level 4 or its equivalent with a minimum of 7-10 years’ experience.
- Civil/Electrical engineering construction experience / experience in renewable energy including operations.
- Managing teams with proven ability to manage the interfaces with various stakeholders (Operations, Construction, Government agencies, Security and Community Relations disciplines).
- Capable of managing SHEQ across multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Setup and roll out of SHEQ strategies.
- Robust project management skill set required including contract management, contract administration, scheduling, planning, budget preparation and control.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Should be capable of managing internal and external resources.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office to efficiently deliver on market SHEQ requirements, as well as other software platforms Mainstream may engage with like SharePoint.
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.
Apply now and include your up-to-date CV and cover letter.