Mainstream Renewable Power is the leading independent developer of utility-scale wind and solar power plants. The company is focused on delivering a high-quality portfolio of more than seven gigawatts of wind and solar assets across high-growth markets in Latin America, Africa and Asia.
In South Africa, Mainstream has been awarded a total of 848 megawatts of wind and solar projects under the Government’s renewable energy procurement programme since the first round in 2011, making it the country’s most successful independent renewable energy developer. The company is currently operating 360MW and constructing a further 250MW of wind farm projects which are due to reach commercial operation in 2020.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions. In Asia, the company is developing large-scale projects in Vietnam and the Philippines.
Mainstream has raised more than €1.6bn in project finance to date and employs 160 staff across four continents.
Summary of Role:
As the Quality Health & Safety and Environmental (SHEQ) Manager, you will be responsible to provide expert health, safety, environment and quality advice in relation to Mainstream’s business in Chile. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that all relevant SHEQ legislation is adhered to and policies and practices are adopted and will plan, implement, monitor and review the protective and preventative measures that will ensure Mainstream’s business activities are carried out in a safe manner.
What you will do?
The SHEQ Manager’s key responsibilities comprise of the following:
- Develop market specific, within Mainstream’s global best practice, Quality, Environment, Health, Safety strategy and agenda for Chile, either for development, construction or operational sites.
- Promotion of Mainstream culture of continuous SHEQ improvement and to share good practice across the company. Plan practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices.
- Liaise with Global SHEQ colleagues, including other functional area managers to ensure that SHEQ plans and best practices are being shared and adopted.
- Propose and lead continuous improvement and operationalization of SHEQ program, procedures, and tools to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and Best Practices.
- Assist local management in keeping accountability to all employees.
- Be competent advisor on Quality, Environment, Health, Safety legislation in Chile. This includes, monitoring compliance with applicable laws and regulations, keep abreast of emerging SHEQ regulations for applicability and implementation as well as the Environmental and Safety management systems under ISO program 14001 and 45001.
- Coordinate and organize in-house SHEQ training with managers and employees regarding key HSE issues including lessons learnt.
- Participate as a key member of local leadership team, taking and active pragmatic role in driving compliance solutions and simplification through the business cycles.
- Understand, promote and enforce with management team all relevant SHEQ applicable regulations and policies in undertaken activities.
- Carry out risk assessments and incident investigations of significant incidents which identify and take account of relevant hazards. Support business growth by leading risk mitigation and SHEQ productivity enhancements by producing a comprehensive risk register.
- Interface with external bodies such as government agencies to ensure legal/policy compliance and participate in any subsequent communication to stakeholders within the business
- Coordinate site-level internal and external audits to develop and promptly implement action plans and provide appropriate supporting to corrective actions. This also considers his/her participation in SHEQ audits with impartial approach and support to sites.
- Support the application and submission of SHEQ permits for operational and construction sites, whereas Mainstream has shareholder ownership.
- Make appropriate requests for resources to ensure proper management of regulated substance requirements regarding restrictions and prohibitions related to environmental aspects of products.
- Evaluate SHEQ requirements across Development markets as required.
- Develop SHEQ integrated management system, including preparation and dissemination of all relevant documentation, development of appropriate safety standards, reporting and information chains and emergency management.
- Produce management SHEQ reports, newsletters and bulletins as required.
- Provide SHEQ all necessary information and reporting to Mainstream Global SHEQ and Board in its behalf when required.
- Report SHEQ performance locally and globally.
- Ensure the success of the environmental processes of the projects under development.
- Ensure the professional development of the team, delivering permanent feedback.
- Assist in the preparation and review of contract documentation and scopes of work and in the selection and management of contractors.
- Proactively keep up to date with all latest developments and new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all the SHEQ legislation and any developments that affect Mainstream’s business activities.
- Global SHEQ– be cognisant and attached to global SHEQ manager/head directives, requirements and policies.
- Market General Manager - Monitor and inform SHEQ performance across construction, operational and development projects under GM responsibility, using local information and data to trend and develop forecasts and plans to reduce exposure to SHEQ risks timely fashion.
- Annual targets – meet targets and expectations as agreed with Global SHEQ and Market General Manager.
What we require?
The candidate should be equipped with the following key skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, as well give the extra mile
- Ability to work in a team, coordinate and enthuse colleagues as well manage consultants services on a reasonable budget
- Strong initiative and the ability to proactively identify required tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to maintain sight of the ‘big picture’ and overarching objectives at all times
- Good IT skills, including experience with MS Word, Excel and Project packages.
- An organised approach to working, task prioritisation and time management
- Fluent in Spanish and English (written and spoken).
Education and Experience
- A minimum of 10 years´ experience in a similar position.
- In addition to a degree or professional qualification the candidate must have accreditation in the health service a professional expert in risk prevention and risk management.
- Managing teams with proven ability to manage the interfaces with various stakeholders (Operations, Construction, Government agencies, Security and Community Relations disciplines).
- Capable of managing SHEQ across multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Setup and roll out of SHEQ strategies.
- Project management skill set required including contract management, contract administration, scheduling, planning, budget preparation and control.
- Should be capable of managing internal and external resources.
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast-paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.