Reporting to: ED Manager: Loeriesfontein 2 and Khobab Wind Farms
Department: Economic Development (ED)
Job Location: Loeriesfontein, Northern Cape
Travel Required: Travel to Cape Town office
Khobab Wind Farm achieved its Commercial Operations Date on schedule and on budget, as part of the third round of the South African government’s Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme.
Khobab Wind Farm received support from the local municipality and surrounding communities during the construction phase and into operations. A number of economic development projects, aimed at contributing to sustainable community growth through financial and non-financial community development involvement. During the operations, a monetary commitment has been made to specifically developing enterprises and improving the socio-economic welfare of the community for 20 years.
Situated in the Hantam Municipal Area, 60km north of Loeriesfontein in the Northern Cape, Khobab Wind Farm spans 3,453 hectares of agricultural land and comprises sixty-one 99m-high wind turbines.
When operating at full capacity, the 140MW Khobab Wind Farm generates around 563,500 MWh/year of clean renewable energy per year and is expected to supply electricity to power up to 120 000 South African homes.
Key Responsibilities and Activities
The Senior Project Coordinator will be responsible for managing the implementation of Enterprise Development (EnD) & Socio-Economic Development (SED) projects. During implementation the Senior Project Coordinator will be responsible to manage consultants, contractors/service providers and sub-contractors and will ensure a coordinated effort is maintained throughout, whilst delivering projects on time and on budget. This role requires the individual to have a proven track record of project and people management. This position is based in Loeriesfontein in the Northern Cape province, and may require a willingness to relocate.
- Understand and implement community projects under the guidance of the Economic Development (ED) Manager.
- Manage local contractors and sub-contractors during the process. Ensure that the maximum number of local labour and contractors are utilized during project implementation.
- Assist the ED Manager in EnD&SED activities and total community management implementation, in partnership with the implementation team and all stakeholders.
- Assist the ED Manager to implement EnD&SED qualitatively in communities during operations to ensure Loeriesfontein 2 & Khobab Wind Farm’s social license to operate, in partnership with the operations team.
- Apply all lessons learned throughout the project lifecycle in order to develop a world class company community management system that makes real, positive, measurable and sustainable impact on the communities hosting our projects.
- Conducting periodical audits on implementation service providers
- Manage any third party consultants engaged to advise the wind farms on ED & SED project implementation, and ensure that advice received is integrated into related work.
- Manage any crisis situations that arise with stakeholders on during project implementation and liaise closely with the ED Manager in this regard.
- Facilitate the transition of ED initiatives into working projects
- Relationship building and positioning with key organisations and stakeholders.
- Identifying key local champions to become third party advocates of projects.
The preferred candidate will have:
- A minimum of 8 years relevant applicable experience in project implementation, 5 of which were working unsupervised.
- Proven track record in multi disciplinary project management is non negotiable.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety best practice application and implementation.
Key Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of the renewable energy project development sector and the process to develop utility scale wind and solar projects would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of the SA Government’s renewable power procurement process;
- Understanding and experience of community social dynamics;
- Understanding and experience of local government dynamics;
- Understanding of legal environment for community engagement and development;
- Full implementation and management of projects;
- Excellent writing and reporting skills;
- Good communication and presentation skills;
- Good command of English and one other South African language
- Drivers license.
- Relevant completed tertiary qualification
What we offer
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast-paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.