- Reporting to: Public Affairs & Communities Coordinator South
- Department: Corporate Affairs
- Job Location: Chile
- Travel Required: Often travel to sites and Santiago
Mainstream Renewable Power is the leading independent developer of utility-scale wind and solar power plants. The company is focused on delivering a high-quality portfolio of more than seven gigawatts of wind and solar assets across high-growth markets in Latin America, Africa and Asia.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late-stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions.
Summary of Role:
The Senior Community Relations Executive is a graduated professional preferably from the social or environmental sciences. He/she will have at least 8 years of laboral experience with more than 3 years of recently experience on communities’ issues to extractive or renewable energy industry in Chile. Knowledge in environmental law and experience with indigenous communities is a must.
The candidate will be based in Los Ángeles, BioBío region. He/she will be a part of the Corporate Affairs Team, reporting directly to the Public Affairs & Communities Coordinator South and will be responsible for maintain a proactive and permanent relationship with stakeholders in the project’s area of influence and identify potential conflicts early.
He/she will collaborate with the corporate affairs and project´s team to socio-politically enable the project in the territory during the construction and operation phases, ensuring all Mainstream values are present.
- Social Risk and Impact: Identify risks and social impacts, define and implement management measures and ensure the implementation of the complaint’s procedure within the project's area of influence.
- Community Relations: Develop relationships of trust with social organizations, indigenous communities, local authority and stakeholders relevant to the project, ensuring the adequacy of participation methodologies to each socio-economic and political context.
- Community Investment: Identify and implement community investment initiatives that can contribute to the reputation of the company in the territory.
- Management Control: Ensure compliance with Mainstream standards and ensure an adequate level of registration and reportability of the social area.
What will you do?
- Identify key stakeholders and keep the stakeholder map updated for any stage of projects.
- Identify actors and socio-political scene of the territory.
- Identify and manage socio-political and reputational risks of the territory.
- Identify and generate local support networks (local institutional relationship).
- Advise the communications, environmental and projects team on socio-political issues to consider in each phase of the projects.
- Define methodologies according to the local context that allow the incorporation of the vulnerable population and encourage the consultation and participation of all key stakeholders.
- Define annually a Community Engagement Plan of the projects.
- Achieve compliance with social commitments (voluntary and associated with RCAs).
- Prepare annually budget associated with the projects and manage payments associated with community investment funds and local initiatives.
- Prepare reports on time and keep monthly updated records associated with social performance (traceability).
ON SITE FUNCTIONS
- Maintain permanent relationship with key stakeholders in the territory of the projects (more than 3 days per week).
- Implement Community Engagement Plan of the projects.
- Implement work groups with the community to keep them informed and involved in the projects.
- Generate and implement collaboration agreements with the community.
- Execute initiatives and community investment funds that contribute to the local development of the area of influence of the projects.
- Fulfil social commitments on time.
- Implement a Complaint’s Procedure in territory of the projects.
- Collaborate with communications, environmental and projects team in the preparation of communications, human environment baselines for processes of environmental evaluation, citizen participation and indigenous consultation.
- Collaborate with the environmental and projects team in their socio-political enable in the territory (definition of negotiation strategies with owners and obtaining permits).
- Represent the company in instances of local institutional relations.
- Put on value the company's contribution to local development with the key stakeholders in the territory.
What we require?
The candidate should be equipped with the following key skills:
Educational, Knowledge and Experience Background:
- Professional degree in environmental or social sciences, 3 years of recent experience working with local communities in representation of companies.
- Experience working with Mapuche indigenous community.
- Knowledge of participatory methodologies and community engagement.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation and mining or energy projects.
- Knowledge of English preferred.
- Have knowledge of regional and municipal authorities and their roles.
Soft skills and Organisational Fit:
- Ability to engage with individuals of different cultures and socioeconomic background.
- Ability to perceive the non-written rules and dynamics of the community organization.
- Patience to adhere to other people´s and cultures´ timeframes.
- Capacity to engage in dialogue with individuals and group leaders of a diversity of backgrounds.
- Good organizational skills.
- Able to think strategically and prioritize tasks.
- Able to perceive cultural norms and unwritten rules.
- Able to analyse problems and propose a viable solution.
- Able to anticipate social risks that may affect a project.
- Count with initiative to propose work methodologies.
- Have a courteous and helpful manner.
- Able to maintain respect and confidence with others.
- Be a good team worker and work well with others.
- Able to communicate clearly to varied groups of people.
- Must be based in Bio-Bio region and must be able to travel periodically to Santiago.
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, a diverse workplace with regards to gender, age and cultural background in a growing market in a fast-paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary, bonus scheme and share options.
"This job offer encourages the inclusion of people with disabilities in the workplace."