- Reporting to: Public Affairs & Community Manager
- Department: Corporate Affairs
- Job Location: Antofagasta Region, Chile
- Travel Required: Often to sites in Chile
Mainstream Renewable Power is the leading independent developer of utility-scale wind and solar power plants. The company is focused on delivering a high-quality portfolio of more than seven gigawatts of wind and solar assets across high-growth markets in Latin America, Africa and Asia.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions.
Summary of Role:
The Senior Community Relations Executive is a professional preferably from the environmental and social sciences. He/she will have at least 8 years of laboral experience with recently experience on communities’ issues to extractive or energy industry in Chile. Knowledge in environmental law and experience with indigenous communities is a must.
The candidate will be based in Antofagasta o Calama in Antofagasta region. He/she will be a part of the Corporate Affairs Team, reporting directly to the Public Affairs and Community Manager and will be responsible for create and maintain a proactive and permanent relationship with stakeholders in the project’s area of influence and identify potential conflicts early.
He/she will collaborate with the corporate affairs and project´s team to socio-politically enable the project in the territory during the development, construction and operation phase, ensuring all Mainstream values are present.
- Social Risk and Impact: Identify risks and social impacts, define and implement management measures.
- Community Relations: Develop relationships of trust with social organizations, indigenous communities, local authority and stakeholders relevant to the project, ensuring the adequacy of participation methodologies to each socio-economic and political context.
- Community Investment: Identify and implement community investment initiatives that can contribute to the reputation of the company in the territory.
- Management Control: Ensure compliance with Mainstream standards and an adequate level of registration and reportability of social performance of each projects.
What will you do?
- Identify key stakeholders and keep the stakeholder map updated for any stage of projects.
- Identify actors and socio-political scene of the territory.
- Identify and manage socio-political and reputational risks of the territory.
- Identify and generate local support networks (local institutional relationship).
- Advise the communications, environmental and projects team on socio-political issues to consider in each phase of the projects.
- Define methodologies according to the local context that allow the incorporation of the vulnerable population and encourage the consultation and participation of all key stakeholders.
- Define annually a Community Engagement Plan of the projects.
- Achieve compliance with social commitments (voluntary and associated with RCAs).
- Prepare annually budget associated with the projects and manage payments associated with community investment funds and local initiatives.
- Prepare reports on time and keep monthly updated records associated with social performance (traceability).
ON SITE FUNCTIONS
- Maintain permanent relationship with key stakeholders in the territory of the projects (more than 3 days per week).
- Implement Community Engagement Plan of the projects.
- Implement work groups with the community to keep them informed and involved in the projects.
- Generate and implement collaboration agreements with the community.
- Execute initiatives and community investment funds that contribute to the local development of the area of influence of the projects.
- Fulfil social commitments on time.
- Implement a Complaint’s Procedure in territory of the projects.
- Collaborate with communications, environmental and projects team in the preparation of communications, human environment baselines for processes of environmental evaluation, citizen participation and indigenous consultation.
- Collaborate with the environmental and projects team in their socio-political enable in the territory (definition of negotiation strategies with owners and obtaining permits).
- Represent the company in instances of local institutional relations.
- Put on value the company's contribution to local development with the key stakeholders in the territory.
What we require?
The candidate should be equipped with the following key skills:
Educational, Knowledge and Experience Background:
- Professional in social or environmental sciences, with 8 years of labour experience, and experience of at least the last 4 year in community relations and citizen participation on processes of environmental evaluation.
- Experience working with indigenous peoples.
- Knowledge of participatory methodologies and community engagement.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation and mining or energy projects.
- Knowledge of English preferred.
- Have knowledge of regional and municipal authorities and their roles.
Soft skills and Organisational Fit:
- Ability to engage with individuals of different cultures and socioeconomic background.
- Ability to maintain good relationships with people inside and outside the company.
- Ability to solve problems, prioritize tasks and work autonomously.
- Capacity to engage in dialogue with individuals and group leaders of a diversity of backgrounds.
- Have good organizational skills. Tidy person.
- Able to think strategically and prioritize tasks.
- Able to plan activities keeping a long-term vision and considering corporative policy´s.
- Able to achievement orientation effective manner.
- Able to analyse problems and propose a viable solution.
- Able to anticipate social risks that may affect a project.
- Count with initiative to propose work methodologies.
- Have a courteous and helpful manner.
- Able to maintain respect and confidence with others.
- Be a good team worker and work well with others.
- Able to communicate clearly to varied groups of people.
- Must be based in Antofagasta / Calama in Antofagasta region and must be able to travel periodically to the project´s territories, at least more than 3 days per week.
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, a diverse workplace with regards to gender, age and cultural background in a growing market in a fast-paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary, bonus scheme and share options.
"This job offer encourages the inclusion of people with disabilities in the workplace."