Mainstream Renewable Power is the leading independent developer of utility-scale wind and solar power plants. The company is focused on delivering a high-quality portfolio of more than 7 GWs of wind and solar assets across high-growth markets in Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia.
In South Africa, Mainstream has been awarded, constructed and put into commercial operations a total of 848 MWs of wind and solar projects under Round 1, 3 and 4 of the Government’s renewable energy procurement programme , making it the country’s most successful independent renewable energy developer. More recently, the company was awarded 1.27 GWs of wind and solar projects under the recent Round 5 of REIPPPP, which are targeted to achieve financial close within the next 6 months.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3 GWs of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late-stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions. In Asia, the company is developing large-scale projects in Vietnam and the Philippines.
Mainstream has raised more than €3.0bn in project finance to date and employs over 450 staff across 13 countries.
This is an exciting time for Mainstream as we plan to integrate with Aker Horizons and Mitsui & Co., our equity partners, and strive towards our ambitious targets of securing 5.5 GWs of renewable assets to FC and be IPO ready by 2023.
For more information, please visit https://www.mainstreamrp.com/
Summary of Role:
As Development Engineer you will report to the Senior Grid Engineer and will be responsible for grid capacity, power system performance assessments. Furthermore, you will be responsible for assessing the Grid Code compliance of Wind and PV facility models. You will be required to know and understand the South African Grid Code and the Grid Connection Code for Renewable Power Plants (RPPs) Connected to the Electricity Transmission (TS) or the Distribution System (DS) in South Africa.
What you will do?
- Grid Capacity
- Monitor the Generation Connection Capacity Assessment (GCCA) report for available capacity in the Eskom Transmission Grid
- Assess available grid capacity for Wind and PV projects in the Distribution Grid
- Grid Integration
- Develop options to integrate Wind and PV projects to the grid
- Develop SLDs for planned Wind and PV IPP substations
- Develop layouts for integrating Wind, and PV facilities to the grid
- Apply to the Network Service Provider for grid connection
- Grid Code Compliance
- Assess Wind and PV Facility RMS models for Grid Code Compliance
- Prepare all documentation for submission to the Renewable Energy Technical Evaluation Committee (RETEC).
- Liaise with RETEC with respect to statutory evaluations.
- Performance and Data Analysis
- Compile and submit monthly plant performance and generation reports.
What we require?
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 5 Years of experience power system studies in an industrial, utility or power generation environment.
- Good knowledge of the South African Grid Code including the Renewables Grid Code.
- Experience in using DigSilent PowerFactory to perform Power system simulations.
- Experience in performing steady state and dynamic state power system simulations.
- Regular national travel and international travel will be required as part of the job (driving licence Code B essential, no criminal record or past infringements, no previous Visa rejections).
- Have excellent communication, written and people skills.
- Extensive use of Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows.
- Fluent in the English language (written and spoken).
Preference will be given to Candidates that have the following Experience:
- Understanding of wind turbine/solar PV technologies
- Knowledge of wind farm/solar farm design.
- Knowledge of the national HSE and Electrical Standards of South Africa.
- Knowledge of Utility Connections and protection.
- Knowledge of applicable Grid Codes.
- Knowledge of engineering software (AutoCAD, GIS, dynamic simulation software).
What we offer
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast-paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.