The Private Market Commercial Manager (PMCM) will be responsible for securing new Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) contracts within the expanding bilateral / corporate PPA market. The PMCM will identify opportunities, lead the evaluation and sourcing of credible new business opportunities including responses to private sector tender processes (RFI/RFQ/RFP/Closed Tenders) through to the ultimate signing of bilateral / corporate PPA contracts. Responsibilities will include negotiation of PPA, financing terms and other project related agreements to achieve Financial Close (FC). Monitoring of and engaging in regulatory framework changes across the market to develop, lead and implement the commercial strategy and grow competitiveness in large-scale renewable energy supply to the private sector. This role will predominantly focus on the South African market but also be looking after the Africa region.
This role will work closely with the Commercial and General Manager in South Africa, with a reporting line to the Head of Commercial in Mainstream’s headquarters.
The role will also support Mainstream’s other global markets as required. The role will require travel to other Mainstream offices, and throughout Africa.
CORE ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, develop and implement a commercial strategy to secure PPAs in the bilateral market.
- Find, evaluate and win new business opportunities aligned to Mainstream strategy within the corporate/bilateral PPA market.
- Review, lead and respond to private sector tenders, including but not limited to RFI/RFQ/RFP/Closed Tenders
- Lead the commercial negotiation required to enter into PPA
- Signoff on assumptions included within financial models, highlighting potential efficiencies / risk areas on acquisitions, investments & disposals
- Structure and secure optimum funding for projects
- PPA analysis, adaptation (as required), simulation and negotiation with custumers.
- Understand grid interconnection agreements and requirements, including
- wheeling costs, develop and implement strategies and contracting to maintain project viability.
- Leading all due diligence of projects as well as loan agreement conditions precedent process required for FC.
- Lead the commercial process from first client contact to FC, with handover to construction and asset management teams. .
- Support, where required, the development, construction and operation teams to deliver the project.
- Network, research, identify and lead equity and debt towards FC.
- Review and follow up the regulatory framework and especially those that have an impact on the viability and strategy of Mainstream projects. These include, but limited to, NERSA, Department of Energy, Eskom and Metropolitan/Municipal focused regulations/requirements.
- Financial modelling and inputs, including accurate management of information flows used to maintain financial models
- Clear financial analysis and communication of results.
- Develop the energy storage business model and participate in regulatory discussions.
- In conjunction with internal teams prepare papers for Risk & Investment Committee and/or Board approval including bid strategies, deal structuring & valuation.
- Coordinating with Procurement, Project Execution and Asset Management team to ensure that procurement, engineering, energy analysis, construction and operations inputs are accurately reflected in all bid responses.
- Support and input into relevant marketing campaigns from time to time.
- Support REIPPP projects (if required).
What we require? [Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience]