The purpose of this role is to provide legal and commercial support to the Asset Management team, comprising Socio Economic and Enterprise Development, Finance, Engineering and Operations. You will draft and review contracts, including the intent, implications and you will ensure practical implementation and agree execution with third parties, including renegotiation where applicable. You will participate in the process of securing new providers and suppliers, across all spheres of the operations business.
This is a mid-level but challenging position with wide ranging duties and responsibilities; it will offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market, and in a fast-paced industry
- Oversee contracts placements for the Projects from the time of COD.
- Be familiar with relevant terms and conditions of the suite of Project Documents, including Senior Facility Agreement, Turbine service agreement and Balance of Plant maintenance agreement; and provide commercial support related to effective execution of these contracts.
- Work with Asset management team and jointly negotiate with Contractors and Third Parties to reach best suited outcomes on operational agreements placed at Financial Close.
- Work with the team, ensuring that all insurances etc. as well as contractual risk mitigating procedures and processes are in place before operations commences.
- Review legal agreements for SPV: TSA, BOP agreements etc.
- Develop ED Contractual Matrix and standardised templates
- Support ED managers with contractual agreements timeously
- Provide or obtain legal advice to ED and plant managers for contractual breach or enforcing of contracts with service providers
- Assist with drafting of letters to IPPO with respect to deviation to Implementation Agreement
- Provide legal contracts for Wind Farm facilities and SED and EnD initiatives
- Assisting Economic Development Managers on ED matters, i.e. Implementation Agreement and DoE requirements.
- Undertake performance health checks on each contract and issue Traffic Light Report on non-conformance and action improvement implementations.
- Involvement in handover and take over process from Construction to Operations.
- Oversee all types of Contractual correspondence within the projects from and to all contracted parties.
- As needed, provide guidance on contract matters to Plant and Economic Development Managers, including training to new Plant Managers and other employees in contracting procedures.
- Develop and implement procedures, policies and standard reporting templates for contract management and administration in compliance with company policy.
- Work with risk management department to coordinate contractual insurance requirements.
- Work with finance to ensure adherence to broader finance and risk requirements such as revenue recovery, compliance with finance agreements, Risk and Finance Committees.
- Oversee the implementation of contract terms and conditions on all project agreements (including Implementation Agreement, PPA, O&M Contracts). Develop commitments register and actively monitor Project Company commitments across all agreements.
- Ensure that every project works to the approved contract procedures and completes each register and proforma as the contract progresses. As a minimum this will include:
- Correspondence log
- Claims event register
- Programme acceptance
- Sub-contractor approval
- Disallowed cost register
- Asset register
- Commitments register
- Mentor and coach the Asset management team in contract administration best practice and the appropriate use of the terms and conditions.
- Within mandate, liaise with legal counsel on any potential litigation issues; after considering and presenting the best course of action as proposed by the business
- Coordinate any potential Insurance Claims.
- Review KPIs of key activities, highlighting good practice and corrective actions.
- Review compensation events to ensure appropriate cost and time evaluation.
- Interaction with management teams and requires intermittent working with colleagues in other teams (Commercial, Development, Construction, Procurement, etc).
Key Skills, knowledge and experience:
- Completed LLB (or similar) qualification
- Minimum 5 years’ experience at a similar level (this position is not suited to a graduate)
- Significant experience in contract management across different spheres/ disciplines including understanding and communicating intent and implications to non-legal team members as well as renegotiation of contracts.
- Knowledge of engineering, procurement, contracts, construction and commissioning processes would be advantageous
- The candidate must be fluent in English; fluency in other languages is considered an advantage.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong project management skill set required including contract management, contract administration, scheduling, planning, financial control and management.
- Candidates should be capable of managing internal and external resources.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite.
- We are looking for a candidate that can assimilate complex information, who can support a diverse and high-performing team in demanding environment.
- Strong negotiation and commercial contract drafting skills essential.
- Be a self-starter with the ability to prioritise work, multi-task and work to set deadlines within a dynamic and fast-moving environment.
- A creative problem solver and a proven track record in the delivery of solutions to a range of challenging corporate issues.
- As you will be a central point of contact, you will need strong organisational skills, a confident manner and ability to communicate clearly with the executive and senior management.
Experience in the energy, and particularly the renewable energy industry, will be an advantage.
This position is based in Cape Town and will require some travel within South Africa.
The company operates in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act), Act 3 of 2013, and by submitting their personal information to us (through the application form, CV and other documentation as required during the recruitment process), candidates agree that the company may utilise their personal information as directed by POPIA.