- Reporting to Vice President US Offshore Wind
- Department Offshore
- Job Location Santa Monica, CA
- Travel Required US West and East Coast, occasional transatlantic travel
Mainstream Renewable Power is a leading global developer of renewable energy projects, focusing on onshore and offshore wind projects as well as emerging renewable technologies. Mainstream is committed to delivering its projects to the highest safety standards.
Summary of Role
Mainstream Renewable Power is looking for an Offshore Electrical Engineer US, to coordinate and deliver electrical and grid engineering services around the offshore wind farm developments of Mainstream in the United States. The Offshore Electrical Engineer will play an important role in helping to understand and mitigate site-specific risks related to interconnection and to accelerate and maximise value from Mainstream’s offshore development program in the US.
What you will do? [Key Responsibilities and Activities]
- Lead project grid and electrical network connection development and related regulatory body interaction activities in the US, with specific emphasis on California.
- Actively research and share knowledge of grid network connection and regulatory framework requirements to influence company strategy and project development plans.
- Manage distribution and transmission grid network connection process and interactions with the Utilities, Independent System Operator(s), consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- Work as part of the US Offshore team to ensure that Mainstream meets its overall offshore wind objectives in the US.
- Cooperate and coordinate with central engineering team and liaise with the various multi-disciplinary teams working on Mainstream offshore wind projects.
- Provide engineering support during the pre-lease auction site evaluation phase and development phase to assess and plan for offtake and interconnection.
- Technical engagement and management of communications with external consultants, contractors, independent engineers, lenders engineers, utility and grid companies as required.
- Drive innovation and cost reduction opportunities.
- Evaluation of new concepts and technologies. Support commercial/budgeting processes, risk management, reporting.
What we require? [Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience]
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in energy industry in similar roles.
- Strong understanding of regulatory framework and knowledge of potential regulatory changes impacting distribution and transmission grid connection application processes.
- Knowledge of US policy, legislation, grid code and any other applicable regulation related to connecting renewable generation; California specific experience a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of offshore windfarm or other large energy infrastructure development process.
- An understanding of wind turbine technology and the issues involved with grid connections. Experience in the renewables industry an advantage.
- Experience in the preparation of technical specifications and other technical documents
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and in particular, Health and Safety issues offshore.
- Suitable experience in the electrical design of power generating plant; including Medium Voltage and High Voltage plant design and equipment specification.
The Successful Candidate will:
- Be a genine teamplayer, with a positive outlook, be determined and flexible.
- Be a highly motivated, dynamic, self starter with proven track record of delivery.
- Be flexible in terms of working arrangements, international travel may be required.
- Excellent verbal / written communication skills and strong report writing skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong initiative and the ability to proactively identify required tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to maintain sight of the ‘big picture’ and overarching objectives at all times
- An organised approach to working, task prioritisation and time management
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.