They key objective of the role is:
- Opportunity identification, market research and stakeholder engagement (lenders, off-takers, government, industry associations) of private RE market
- Engage with government to solve key regulatory hurdles (specifically in relation to ERA Regulations, Generation licenses and wheeling)
- Understand and solve key private RE market constraints to open up the willing-buyer: willing-seller market
- Strategy and budget development
- Present (steps) implementation strategy and get sign off from internal management and risk and investment committees.
- Execute on strategy and conclude private RE contracts with small, medium, and large energy off-takers, and
- Develop a scalable business unit that concludes flexible off-taker agreements
- Identify and map potential off-takers through market research (50% desk driven, 50% active)
- Establish and maintain positive relationship with potential off-takers
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other related stakeholders (NERSA, Eskom, Department of Mineral Resources and Energy, EIUG)
- Lead off-taker discussions (“knock on doors”) of potential clients.
- Collaborate and develop a business case for the private market, which will require engagement with Mainstream’s internal teams (land, permitting, engineering, energy analysis, financial modelling, procurement) as well as external stakeholders such as Eskom, NERSA and financial institutions (DFI’s, commercial lenders, Private Equity).
- Present opportunities to line managers, head of Africa and the general manger
- Assist with the completion of Risk and Investment Committee papers
- Support the implementation of private market RE project solutions
- Drive Mainstreams competitive edge in the private RE market
- Positioning the Mainstream Brand as a recognised leading renewable energy player with stakeholders in existing and new markets.
- Design and manage the project schedule, budget and other project controls for assigned projects.
- Identifying and communicating on a timely basis all project barriers and risks, together with the strategies and approaches to overcome those barriers and risks.
- Monitor SA and Africa market movements and news.
- Work with Development team to ensure that all required consents to invest, build and operate power plants are in place for to reach financial close.
- Coordinating with Procurement, Construction and Asset Management teams as applicable to ensure that procurement, engineering, energy analysis, construction and operations inputs are accurately reflected in bid responses.
- Ensure that projects are developed in accordance with Mainstream’s SHEQ policies and procedures and in accordance with all applicable legislation. This includes adherence to and continuance of ISO accreditations: ISO 140001:2015 and ISO 450001:2018
- Lead project meetings and conference calls for assigned projects.
What we require:
- Commercial and / or Engineering degree with strong business acumen. Clear financial analysis and communication of result. Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in business administration preferred but not required.
- Proven Business Development skills, including research and engagement in new markets, with ability to show success in obtaining new projects/ business.
- A minimum of 5 years in project development, managing the full scope of the project lifecycle including consenting, bidding, negotiating and reaching financial close.
- Understanding of the commercial aspects of de-risking projects including evaluation, structuring, tendering, and closing.
- RE experience (technical and or commercial knowledge) is a must.
(Alternate qualifications will be considered, if a strong track record of RE business development and sales is provided)
The role requires an understanding of the hurdles and opportunities within the private RE landscape in South Africa.
A good knowledge of private market macro limitations with a focus on:
- Private PPA’s terms,
- Legislation (IRP, ERA, generation caps),
- NERSA Generations License approval,
- Eskom tariff structuring
- Eskom bundling
- Potential future tariff changes
An intimate understanding of the business case for RE in the private market, specifically:
- Price competitiveness (savings) vs Eskom Utility and peers
- Key cost drivers of a RE plant
An understanding of funding mechanisms and a potential (off-taker) client network is an advantage
- Strong interpersonal and stakeholder relationship skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and be comfortable presenting to all internal and external stakeholders (commercial banks, government, large business)
- Self-motivated with the ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple workstreams
- Committed team player with the ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships
- Strong organisational skills
- Experience in contracts negotiations and stakeholder management
- Problem solver and conflict solving abilities
This position is based in Cape Town and will require some travel within South Africa.
The company operates in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act), Act 3 of 2013, and by submitting their personal information to us (through the application form, CV and other documentation as required during the recruitment process), candidates agree that the company may utilise their personal information as directed by POPIA.