We are currently recruiting for a Meteorological Station Manager to support Mainstream’s solar and wind energy development in South Africa. The successful candidate will be part of the global Energy Analysis Group (EAG). This position requires a highly organized candidate with excellent communication and contractor management skills.
Main responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Managing current and new wind mast, solar measurement station and lidar operations and installations.
- Performing weekly data quality checks and reporting to EAG management.
- Ensure that systems are installation and operating as per specification.
- Maintenance planning and budgeting.
- Assisting with new installation planning, budgeting, permitting, and contracting.
- Liaising with affiliated Contractors, Mainstream’s Project Managers, Finance, and SHEQ (Safety, Health, Environmental, and Quality) departments.
- Draft and manage Request for Proposals, Quotations, and 3rd Party accounts.
- Apply research and innovation to meet data recovery targets.
What you will do?
- Prequalification, select, and appoint of wind mast, solar station and lidar
- Management of installation, maintenance and decommissioning of temporary meteorological masts, lidar units, and solar measurement stations.
- Management of timelines for installation and maintenance of wind masts, solar stations, and lidars to adhere to project schedules as defined by EAG Analysts and agreed with Project Managers.
- Establish relationships with measurement station contractors to ensure that Mainstream receives optimal service from contractors, as well as from equipment and data suppliers.
- Management of SHEQ requirements for these activities in conjunction with Mainstream’s SHEQ department to ensure contractors comply with relevant safety requirements Continuously improve Mainstream SHEQ performance and assist with contractor SHEQ audits.
- Coordination with contractors to ensure that required documentation are in place before work starts to ensure that work is done safely, efficiently, on-time, and in compliance with local legislation.
- Interaction with Mainstream’s internal departments including SHEQ, Engineering, Finance, and Development.
- Maintain up to date documentation on all assets and inventories. Review and approve contracts SHEQ documentation, commissioning, and maintenance reports for operation and new assets ensuring compliance with Mainstream technical and SHEQ standards.
- Integration of measured meteorological data into Mainstream’s internal database and configuration of the stations.
- Oversee the collection and quality control of meteorological data to ensure maximum data coverage and minimum uncertainty. Ensure measurement equipment is kept in good working condition.
- Generate purchase orders for meteorological station installation and maintenance activities. Review payment requests and interface with Mainstream Finance Team to oversee payments.
- Identify and implement improvements to Mainstream’s procedures and templates to support alignment with industry best practice and continuous improvement of the Energy Analysis function.
- No climbing of wind mast will be required.
- Up to five (5) times in-country site visits per year, with an international travel requirement of at least once a year.
The above tasks will be carried out following the Energy Analysis Group’s standards.
What we require?
- Qualifications: A degree or equivalent, in Mechanical, or Electrical, or Electronic, or Mechatronic Engineering will be required.
- A working knowledge of typical wind, solar, and lidar measurement equipment and installation in accordance with the IEC61400 code or MEASNET guidelines.
- This role requires more than 5+ years of experience related to contractor/contracts management, document control, experience working in manufacturing or construction.
- Experience in Construction Management of meteorological wind masts, solar stations, and lidar installations in South Africa.
- Pro-active, goal oriented with excellent attention to detail.
- Meteorology and/or measurement station experience a distinct advantage.
- Able to fault-find, identify issues, problems and opportunities; make timely decisions; develop appropriate and innovative solutions; and ask for assistance if required.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to develop professional relationships with suppliers and contractors
- Experience in MS Office.
- Programming in Python (e.g. Jupyter Notebook) or the use of AWS Windographer will be advantageous.
- Excellent verbal and written English. Other languages in South Africa are advantageous.
- Willingness to travel domestically to sites which are generally in remote areas.
- Full and clean driving licence.
What we offer
- We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic, globally active, locally focused, organisation, in a growing market in a fast-paced industry.
- You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and a bonus scheme.
- We also encourage personal and career development. Typically, industry-orientated training (inhouse and external) and conferencing are expected.
This position is based in Cape Town and will require some travel within South Africa.
The company operates in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act), Act 3 of 2013, and by submitting their personal information to us (through the application form, CV and other documentation as required during the recruitment process), candidates agree that the company may utilise their personal information as directed by POPIA.