Mainstream Renewable Power is looking for an experienced M&A Manager to join a new M&A Team to manage the origination and delivery of M&A opportunities from due diligence to deal completion. The successful candidate will have strong legal, technical, and/or commercial capabilities in solar and wind technologies (battery storage experience would be an advantage). This candidate will be a leading member of the team responsible for originating, analysing, and valuing target acquisitions as well as structuring, negotiating, and executing acquisition or divestment transactions. International experience would be a distinct advantage.
The candidate must be a strong team player with high levels of self-motivation and excellent analytical and communication skills.
This role will report into the Head of M&A Central and work closely with external advisors and other internal teams, including regional M&A teams, to carry out due diligence and review market analysis and legal documentation. The M&A Manager will have at least one other direct report.
The successful candidate will be experienced in preparing concise schedules and summary documents for senior management and board discussions. This candidate will be comfortable in presenting to the Mainstream leadership team and board if required. This candidate will be able to understand and assess risks and opportunities in a given market and/or technologies. He/she will contribute, and work with colleagues, to prepare a final recommendation to senior management on whether to pursue an opportunity, and on what basis.
The role will be based in Mainstream’s head office in Dublin; however, it will support the company’s global markets. This role requires international travel.
Key Responsibilities & Activities:
- Work closely with the Head of M&A Central to prepare a M&A growth strategy which will be submitted to and approved by Mainstream’s board and reviewed on a regular basis (at least bi-annually).
- Manage a team including financial modeller(s) and/or M&A Executive(s).
- Carry out research on third party projects, platforms (groups of projects), companies, markets, and teams.
- Evaluate acquisition targets for strategic, financial, and commercial fit with Mainstream’s M&A growth strategy to ascertain their suitability and appropriate prioritisation.
- Prepare market analysis understanding the dynamics, specificities, constraints, and opportunities of each target market.
- Project manage due diligence processes from initial opportunity to deal completion. This will involve tight management of timelines, internal teams, external advisors, and documentation review.
- Assess the pros and cons of the various opportunities and solutions offered through in-depth analysis of their business models and impact on company financials.
- Work with dedicated financial modeller to design, build and maintain highly complex financial models that are able to prepare valuation and various scenario analysis.
- Fully understand and participate in legal, financial and tax structuring of transactions to facilitate a seamless integration of the opportunity into the Mainstream group.
- Manage the review of legal documentation (e.g., Letter of Intent, Non-Binding Offer, Binding Offer, Share Purchase Agreement, Joint Development Agreement etc.).
- Negotiate acquisition agreements representing Mainstream’s interests.
- Manage the completion of a risk, corporate governance, and compliance analysis of target acquisitions.
- Manage third party advisors, including costs, throughout the due diligence and acquisition process.
- Compliance in working to strict deadlines.
- Manage the integration strategy of acquired assets in the Group portfolio and handover over the acquisition to the relevant business manager / region / team once a transaction completes.
- Manage the preparation of investment proposals, board updates and Risk and Investment papers along with any other documentation necessary for internal approvals.
- Represent Mainstream confidently and knowledgeably in public.
- Work seamlessly with Mainstream’s Parent M&A team throughout any acquisition opportunity.
Knowledge, Skills & Key Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a legal, technical, or commercial role in the wind/solar/battery industry.
- Track record in originating and delivering relevant transactions: including joint development / JV / partnership agreements, asset acquisition / divestment, M&A of companies, buying, financing and divesting wind & solar assets at different stages of development, construction, operations.
- Knowledge of the players in the market and a strong understanding of the various mechanisms prevailing in the financing of renewable energy projects and companies.
- Outstanding project management skills and ability to demonstrate being able to work on multiple projects at once.
- Strong experience in due diligence process and legal documentations.
- Demonstrate experience in working to deadlines.
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of commercial updates in the global renewable market.
- Deep understanding of risk and value drivers in renewable projects and businesses.
- Comfortable working autonomously and as part of a team. Can demonstrate a high level of self-motivation.
- Adaptable, tenacious, self-starter and self-reliant.
- Demonstrate ability to work in teams across different time zones.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to deal with internal and external parties.
- Strong presentation, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Experience of contract negotiations and commercial acumen a distinct advantage.
- Experience of gathering and utilising competitor/industry market knowledge, market evaluation and entering new markets is a distinct advantage.
- High personal standards regarding professional code of conduct and compliance.
- Willingness to international travel and work a flexible day.