Mainstream is currently recruiting for a Legal Counsel to join our team.
Reporting to the Head of Legal, and working as part of the wider world-class Dublin-based commercial function, this is a mid-level but challenging position with wide ranging duties and responsibilities, providing advice across Mainstream business globally. The primary area of responsibility will be provision of legal advice and support to all business units across multiple jurisdictions, primarily in the areas as set out below.
The role will involve significant interaction with management teams and requires working closely with and advising colleagues in many functions across the business (Commercial, Corporate Finance, Finance, Procurement, Asset Management, Development, HR etc).
- Full range of commercial contracts, including NDAs, consultancy and agency agreements, and service agreements.
- Company law; joint ventures, shareholders’ agreements; acquisitions and disposals;
- Project finance; corporate finance; legal due diligence and working with external law firms putting in place appropriate facility agreements and associated security.
- Power purchase agreements; procurement and construction contracts.
- Data privacy, anti-bribery, corruption and ethics compliance.
- Legal relationship management and legal risk management.
- Assist with a range of other contracts and legal issues that arise across the business including Information Systems, HR, Health & Safety, & Environmental, and general litigation.
- Advise and assist on a range of corporate transactions from investments, M&A, fundraisings and structuring at project and corporate level.
- Service and provide front-line negotiation, drafting and support of key commercial contracts.
- Act as a first point of call for legal issues delegated by the Head of Legal.
- Provide legal oversight, the ability to identify key legal risks, research issues and formulate strategies to mitigate exposures.
- Assist the co-ordination and use of external legal counsel across multiple jurisdictions in which Mainstream operates. A key function of this role will be to manage legal spend in an effective manner for the group.
- Promote legal awareness and update the business on relevant legislative changes and case law affecting Mainstream’s business and the wider renewable energy sector including regulatory, planning and environmental matters
- Provide legal support on all key business initiatives and projects
- Support the procurement team with negotiation of construction contracts including turbine supply agreements, balance of plant, EPC contracts and long term service contracts
- Support the Company Secretary and Group Ethics & Compliance Manager on compliance policies, training, and any company secretarial services as and when required.
- Support the SHEQ and HR departments on local legal legislation compliance
Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Irish or UK qualified solicitor, with minimum 3 years post-qualification experience preferably in a large corporate law firm. Experience or secondments in-house to a multinational company would be advantageous but not essential.
- Experience in project finance, in structuring JVs and shareholders’ agreements will be an advantage.
- Strong commercial/pragmatic sense and understanding of business needs.
- Be a self-starter with the ability to prioritise work, multi-task and work to set deadlines within a dynamic and fast-moving environment.
- A creative problem solver with a strong technical background and a proven track record in the delivery of solutions to a range of challenging corporate issues.
- As you will be a central point of contact, you will need strong organisational skills, a confident manner and ability to communicate clearly with the executive and senior management.
- A key feature of this role will be collaboration, both internally and externally, with the ability to work cross-functionally with all departments, including the project construction and project contract management teams, as well as the asset management team.
- Ability to work across several multinational jurisdictions.
- Experience in the energy and particularly, renewable energy industry will be an advantage.
- Ad-hoc international travel, as the role requires.