Mainstream is currently recruiting for an In-house Legal Counsel.
Working as part of the Dublin team, this is a senior and challenging position with wide ranging duties and responsibilities providing advice and counsel across Mainstream business globally. The primary area of responsibility will initially be managing commercial legal issues across all operational locations in multiple jurisdictions.
The role will be high-profile, with significant interaction with the executive and senior management team and requires working closely with and advising colleagues in many functions across the business (Commercial, Corporate Finance, Finance, Procurement, Asset Management, Development, HR etc).
- Company law; joint ventures, shareholders’ agreements; acquisitions and disposals;
- Project finance; corporate finance;
- Power purchase agreements; procurement and construction contracts.
- Regulatory, planning and environmental matters
- Anti-bribery, corruption and ethics compliance.
- Legal relationship management and legal risk management.
- Advise and assist on a range of corporate transactions from investments, M&A, private equity, fundraisings and structuring at project and corporate level.
- Act as a first point of call for all legal issues (principally contractual around joint ventures, acquisitions, share purchase agreements, land leases, procurement, construction etc).
- Provide legal oversight, the ability to identify key legal risks, research issues and formulate strategies to mitigate exposures
- Service existing managerial demand for front-line negotiation, drafting and support of key commercial contracts.
- Manage and co-ordinate use of external legal counsel across multiple jurisdictions in which Mainstream operates. A key function of this role will be to manage legal spend in an effective manner for the group.
- Develop and maintain a legal compliance framework within which Mainstream can operate to “best-in-class” including corporate governance, ABC and ethical compliance.
- Promote legal awareness and update the business on relevant legislative changes and case law affecting Mainstream’s business and the wider renewable energy sector including regulatory, planning and environmental matters.
- Provide legal support on all key business initiatives and projects.
- Support the negotiation of funding agreements including project and corporate finance.
- Support the procurement team with negotiation of construction contracts including turbine supply agreements, balance of plant, EPC contracts and long term service contracts.
- Review of risk allocation and Owner. warranties/guarantees/recourse contained in major construction contracts.
- Support the Company Secretary and Group Ethics & Compliance Manager and maintain a close collaboration with the Head of Tax.
- Assist in post transactional implementation.
- In conjunction with regional and Dublin teams evaluate, review and present papers for Senior Management, Risk & Investment Committee and/or Board approval including risk matrices and project appraisals.
- Support the SHEQ and HR departments on local legal legislation compliance.
Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- A high calibre commercial solicitor with minimum 10 years post-qualification experience, experience as an in-house lawyer in a multinational company would be advantageous.
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills essential.
- An ability to act as a project leader in relation to the implementation of a legal compliance framework, through liaison with different parts of the group and external advisers.
- Strong commercial/pragmatic sense and understanding of business needs.
- Be a self-starter with the ability to prioritise work, multi-task and work to set deadlines within a dynamic and fast-moving environment.