Mainstream Renewable Power is a leading independent developer of utility-scale renewable energy projects. We focus on onshore and offshore (fixed and floating) wind, fixed and floating solar power plants, and integration of these technologies with battery and storage solutions. The company is focused on delivering a high-quality portfolio of more than seven gigawatts of wind and solar assets across high-growth markets in Latin America, Africa, the UK and Asia.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions. Since entering the Chilean market in 2009, Mainstream has built up the most comprehensive portfolio of wind and solar energy projects in the country, extending to over 2,000 megawatts across more than 40 projects. Mainstream entered the Columbian market in 2019 and is developing and acquiring a pipeline of wind and PV assets.
In South Africa, Mainstream has delivered 600MW of wind and solar assets into commercial operation and is currently constructing a further 250MW of wind farms. Through the Lekela platform Mainstream has assets under construction in South Africa, Senegal and Egypt and a development project in Ghana.
In Asia, the company is developing large-scale projects in Vietnam, the Philippines and Australia. In offshore wind Mainstream is developing the 800 MW Soc Trang project in Vietnam, and is building an offshore wind pipeline in the UK, Japan, South Korea, Ireland and in other European Markets. Mainstream has raised over €1.8bn in project finance to date and employs over 300 staff across six continents.
Mainstream has raised over €1.8bn in project finance to date and employs more than 400 staff across six continents. In 2021 the company was 75% acquired by the Norwegian investment company Aker Horizons, and now sits in a portfolio of Aker companies involved in green hydrogen, carbon capture, utilisation and storage, and offshore wind.
Summary of Role:
A Renewable Energy Major, Mainstream is seeking an expert in hydrogen and power-to-x markets who will work with colleagues in Dublin and in Mainstream’s regional offices, and with our partner companies Aker and Mitsui, to grow Mainstream’s hydrogen business. The successful applicant will play a key role in Mainstream’s hydrogen business across its regions, by monitoring technology, policy, market and industry trends to identify project opportunities. The applicant will also engage with potential offtakers, and support regional development teams in establishing successful green hydrogen and power-to-x projects.
What you will do
- Monitor policy in key markets including subsidies, carbon pricing, import/export mechanisms, hydrogen auctions etc.
- Monitor hydrogen, ammonia and P2X market prices
- Monitor the market cost of alternatives to hydrogen and power-to-x
- Assess viability of hydrogen and power-to-x across sectors, and geographies, accounting for:
- Competitiveness against incumbent and competing net-zero fuels
- Barriers-to-entry in hydrogen and power-to-x and how they can be overcome
- Funding sources and revenue streams available for hydrogen and power-to-x projects
- Costs and trends in hydrogen and power-to-x technologies and infrastructure
- Relevant policies including carbon taxes, industry emission regulations, net-zero funds, etc.
- Attend and/or present at conferences on the above matters, sharing learnings with relevant members of staff
- Work with Mainstream’s development teams in LATAM, EMEA, North America and APAC to:Assist in the progression of Mainstream’s current hydrogen and power-to-x pipeline
- Understand and provide analysis regarding competitiveness of hydrogen, ammonia, green iron, and relevant power-to-x products for current and potential planned Mainstream wind and solar projects
- Identify hydrogen and power-to-x projects with viable routes to market
Shipping and Distribution
- Assess production, storage, transport and distribution of hydrogen and its power-to-x vectors
- Guide and assist in the development and refinement of best-in-practice business models for distribution, including pipelines and shipping
- Have a working understanding of hydrogen and P2X production and distribution safety drivers
Customers and off-take agreements
Identify, pursue, and engage with potential customers on their technical requirements for off-take and willingness to pay, including include ‘commodity’ style customers participating in global markets, and direct-to-user customers, such as fertiliser production, oil refining, steel production, and marine fuel
- Participate in the negotiation of offtake agreements with potential customers of hydrogen and power-to-x products
- Work with Mainstream’s finance teams with to develop models with sound commercial inputs, including offtake revenues, variations in WACC across hydrogen regions, key risks, etc.
- Effectively communicate knowledge with Mainstream’s central and regional teams
- Build strong relationships and networks both externally and internally, including with key Mainstream stakeholders such as in the Mitsui and Aker group of companies
What we require?
- An experienced and suitably qualified candidate in the analysis of energy markets, which could include utility-scale renewables, hydrogen and power-to-x projects, potential users of green hydrogen and power-to-x, and energy commodity trading
- A minimum of five years direct experience in the above areas.
- A detailed understanding of the hydrogen and power-to-x value chain and markets, including in-depth knowledge of the green ammonia market and factors that lead to successful projects.
- Degree(s) in a relevant field, such as economics, finance, energy systems, or engineering.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, able to both author reports, models, and presentations, and then present the findings in a succinct and easy-to-understand manner.
- A self-starter with a passion for the renewable energy industry, desire for success and the willingness to challenge the status quo while always observing industry-leading SHEQ practices.
Whats on offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market, with plenty of financial capability to meet the demands of a fast paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary, bonus scheme, pension contribution, healthcare subsidy, life assurance, and potential to participate in company share option scheme, subject to completion of the 6-month probation period.