Mainstream Renewable Power is a leading developer of utility-scale wind and solar power plants. The company is focused on delivering a high quality portfolio of onshore and offshore wind and solar assets across markets including Latin America, Africa and Asia, Europe and North America.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions. In South Africa, Mainstream has delivered 600MW of wind and solar assets into commercial operation and has recently concluded construction on a further 250MW of wind farms. In Asia, the company is developing large-scale projects in Vietnam and the Philippines. Mainstream is a pioneer in offshore wind, having developed nearly 25% of the UK’s currently operational or in construction offshore power plant, and is actively exploring markets across the globe.
In 2021 the company was 75% acquired by the Norwegian investment company Aker Horizons, and now sits in a portfolio of Aker companies involved in green hydrogen, CCUS and offshore wind. The company intends to list through an IPO within the next twelve months.
Summary of Role :
Mainstream Renewable Power is looking to fill a new role in their corporate affairs team responsible for the management of the company’s public affairs objectives across all its markets and the management of our policy and market intelligence portal liaising with our technology, finance and development teams. Location of the role is flexible for a suitable candidate.
Key Responsibilities and Activities:
- To raise Mainstream’s profile and promote our policy agenda with key influencers and opinion formers, helping to maintain our reputation as an authoritative voice on all issues affecting renewable energy, climate change and sustainability
- To be a credible ambassador for Mainstream across all our markets, particularly with governments, regulatory bodies and multilateral agencies.
- To lead on our engagement with critical partners such as trade associations, sector bodies and others seeking to advance an accelerated transition to renewable energy.
- To manage our policy and market intelligence, to take responsibility for identifying and responding to government consultations and other similar exercises, and to take editorial responsibility for the production of White Papers and other positioning documents.
In this role, the successful candidate will:
- Establish regular contact with politicians, political advisers, civil servants, public bodies or regulators to keep them informed about Mainstream's work and policy concerns.
- Organise or attend regular meetings with these stakeholders, representing Mainstream and forging contacts with key decision-makers either bilaterally or with other colleagues, particularly those in our platform markets.
- Provide internal forecasts of the likely effect of public policy changes, and in conjunction with other colleagues write or edit submissions to government or regulator consultations.
- Either solely or with colleagues, provide written or oral briefings for the Board and Leadership team and advise them on the likely effect of government, regulatory or policy change across our markets.
- Manage the Corporate Affairs team’s market intelligence function providing regular internal and external briefings on policy and technology development including providing analysis to support business decision making, inform Board papers, and provide drafts of speeches and conference interventions for colleagues.
Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Excellent writing and speaking skills: You will be expected to write briefings, press releases and consultation responses, as well as give presentations internally and externally.
- Great networking skills: Networking skills are integral to the role. You will need to possess or hone the ability to confidently approach a diverse range of people and strike up a conversation. This needs to be allied to the ability to stay in touch with decision-makers and retain contacts.
- Information gathering and interpreting: You will be able to take on board and understand reams of new information as you keep abreast of ever-changing political developments, and advise senior staff of the implications for Mainstream.
- Political knowledge: An intimate knowledge of political processes, an understanding of climate and energy policy and a familiarity with the landscape and principal actors in the global energy, climate and sustainability landscape is essential.