Mainstream is a world leader in the development of offshore wind projects with a track record of over 7.5GW in development in Northern Europe. As a member of the Offshore and APAC team, this position helps set the direction of; and deliver on the goals set for the Offshore business. The individual is expected to translate broad goals into achievable steps, help set and manage appropriate expectations, handle detailed and complex concepts and problems, and make rapid decisions regarding management and development issues.
The individual will be required to establish strong and appropriate relationships with the Mainstream senior management team board, partners, industry and stakeholders and develop smooth and constructive relationships.
The candidate will have a combination of strong technical capabilities, as well as strong commercial and business development experience with good communication skills and the ability to convey information clearly and effectively.
Key responsibilities will include, but not be restricted to:
- Working in close collaboration with the GM Offshore and APAC, the head of Offshore Commercial and M&A and the wider team to ensure that Mainstream Offshore meets its overall objectives
- Lead all global offshore delivery functions and position Mainstream to win contracts in upcoming lease rounds in the UK, Ireland, Scotland, the US and other markets.
- Lead and continue to build the offshore wind team in Edinburgh and Dublin
- In conjunction with senior colleagues, develop, own and deliver the offshore business plan
- Be a leader in applying the latest technology in offshore wind to win business for Mainstream
- Assist with Mainstream’s global offshore wind expansion, working closely other General managers
- Provide input in short and long term strategic and operational planning and positioning within the industry and organisation.
- Take a proactive role in contributing to future strategic objectives of the Offshore team
- Ensuring safety for all offshore employees and partners, in accordance with the Mainstream SHEQ policy and systems
- Responsible for the continued development of Health & Safety, Environment and Quality systems, working closely with the Mainstream SHEQ manager.
- Responsibility and ownership for delivery of key targets within the offshore business
- Ensure all offshore development is carried out in keeping with the organisation’s values, mission, vision and plans and that all crucial development issues are met responsibly and effectively in a timely fashion.
- Co-ordinating offshore team meetings, direct key managers responsible for operational activity and have accountability for finance, quality, health and safety, human resources, project management.
- Responsibility for the offshore business operations budget planning and management. Assume responsibility for delivery on time and within budget. Provide management reports of Operations status and activity reports to assist decision making that will be made with other senior executives in the company at periodic board and management meetings.
- Developing relationships with partner companies working in collaboration to support existing and future projects.
- Maintain a current knowledge base of the market and state of the art in renewable energy and workforce resources of the company. Recruit relevant staff needed for business operations. Conduct performance and development reviews.
- Responsible for the implementation of quality and risk management systems within the offshore business, working closely with the company’s competent advisor.
- Appropriately represent the company within industry and at external events.
- Be a motivator and driver of morale for all members of the offshore team
- Ensure that Mainstream values are part of every workday
- Will have a high public profile to further develop the Mainstream brand and broaden Mainstream’s network of influence
This will be challenging and demanding role, that requires previous senior level experience of the energy (generation) sector, in the UK and internationally. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate progressively responsible positions within both operations and general management and will have a first degree and technical qualifications relevant to the business and the direct responsibilities of the role.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a person who relishes a challenge, has business flair and thorough grounding in power generation, particularly electricity generation and Renewables. Preferably gained in organisations that have managed projects internationally
- Be a strong manager and mentor, capable of lateral and strategic thinking and with the drive and imagination to, working with the Executive Director and other senior colleagues, grow the company to the next level and beyond.
- As a manager be open to discussion, able to manage and motivate staff, allowing them freedom of expression and room to develop, yet able also to ensure the company maintains a clear sense of direction and purpose. Good communication skills, able to work effectively at all levels within Mainstream and with various partner companies will be essential
- Have the ability to express themselves clearly both orally and in writing, to make presentations and to negotiate with potential clients.
- Ideally have experience of acquisitions and, as a strategic thinker and member of the management team, be able to identify, evaluate and negotiate the acquisition of businesses that would enhance Mainstream’s profile, presence, and capabilities
- Have experience of setting and achieving targets and budgets and a rigorous hands-on approach to performance management, control, and planning
In order to be considered for this role, a candidate will have had to demonstrate a strong track record of delivering operational results at a senior management level in a relevant environment. They will have the ability to lead, influence and engage others effectively across business and reporting lines.
The candidate will bring clarity and clear strategic direction to the operation issues within Mainstream and will work to identify and implement the necessary commercial solutions. As a highly proactive and focused individual, the candidate will gain immediate recognition and respect within the company and the Offshore/Renewables community.
Of equal importance, will be the candidate’s willingness to function and lead a small tight knit management team where they will have a very diverse ‘hands on’ role.
Key Skills, competencies, and capabilities:
The successful candidate will have the following mix of technical and soft skills:
- Extensive energy sector experience preferably in electricity generation operations and offshore experience in renewable or the oil and gas sector including a number of years at a senior management level.
- Experience in winning major tenders.
- Must be knowledgeable of all aspects of offshore wind development, possess an understanding of transmission and distribution.
- Possess supervisory and project management skills. Profit and loss experience as well as budgeting and forecasting the needs of the division are required.
- With energy sector operational experience, the candidate must have a solid understanding of market and operation issues facing Mainstream.
- A self-starter, the candidate will have the ability to organise and manage highly skilled multi-disciplined technical staff and projects. Prior experience of leading, coaching and managing teams in a rapidly changing commercial arena will therefore be advantageous.
- Clearly a strategic thinking, the successful candidate will possess strong analytical skills readily identifying and pursuing development opportunities
- Be able to communicate effectively at all levels. The nature of this role and the culture of the company will require the candidate to persuade rather than tell. Therefore, the candidate must be comfortable influencing a highly trained team exercising diplomacy and sensitivity. With a high team ethic, the candidate needs to possess strong negotiation and technical writing skills.
- Team management
- Business development
- Planning and organising
- Business winning
- Project estimation and management
- Communication and influence
- Strong presentation and writing skills
- Need for excellence
- Analysis/problem solving