Job Location: Singapore
Reporting to: General Manager, APAC
A world free of fossil fuels. If you share our vision, then join us on our mission.
This is your opportunity to make a real difference in averting the climate crisis, in an organisation that is at the forefront of the global transition to renewable energy.
Mainstream Renewable Power is a recognised global leader in renewable energy; and the pride we all get from developing, constructing and operating our projects is one reason why we are officially recognised as a Great Place to Work.
Now we are looking for people who can power our progress to a new level. If you want to make a real difference in the world, working with our extraordinary team across six continents, check out our newly created role.
Summary of Role:
We are looking for a Head of Legal APAC to join our APAC team and broader Legal & Compliance department. The position reports to the APAC General Manager and will work closely with the Company’s General Counsel and other legal and compliance colleagues around the world
This position plays an important role in developing and shaping the company’s compliance culture and strategy, which strives to be the best in class. The successful candidate needs to be a business enabler: providing commercially minded and pragmatic regulatory advice. This involves balancing strategic, “big picture” thinking with analytical ability and attention to detail.
Good interpersonal skills are critical. The successful candidate will be able to influence people at all levels (both internally and externally) in a clear, succinct and persuasive way. Building and maintaining a network of contacts across the business will be crucial.
What you will do?
The APAC Head of Legal will be responsible for providing clear concise advice on all legal matters including Company law; joint ventures, shareholders’ agreements; acquisitions and disposals; project finance; corporate finance; power purchase agreements; procurement and construction contracts. Oversight of the Anti-bribery and corruption policies and ethics compliance.
- Lead on all legal and contractual matters, strategic and operational in the APAC region
- Act as a first point of call for all legal issues (principally contractual issues around joint ventures, acquisitions, share purchase agreements, land leases, construction) in the APAC region.
- Service existing managerial demand for front-line negotiation, drafting and support of key project commercial contracts.
- Manage and co-ordinate use of external legal counsel across multiple jurisdictions in which Mainstream operates. A key function of this role will be to manage legal spend in an effective manner for the group.
- Review and interpret legal agreements in order to provide clear concise written and verbal advice.
- Provide legal opinions on contractual matters and instruct external counsel where necessary.
- Provide legal advice on all key business issues and projects and make recommendations to mitigate risks.
- Create and oversee a best-in-class legal function that is positioned to provide advice and guidance on contracts and a compliance framework.
- Prepare and review drafting of legal documents and key project commercial contracts including the negotiation of finance agreements, joint ventures, acquisitions, share purchase agreements, construction contracts, share purchase agreements.
- Review, develop and manage the updating of legal policies and procedures.
- Together with the General Counsel, oversee preparations to be IPO-ready from a legal and compliance perspective.
- Assist in APAC related issues arising from equity funding raisings and due diligence transactions at project and HoldCo level.
- Advise on legal aspects of financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Act as a resource on the interpretation of existing or proposed laws and regulations that could impact the business.
- Close collaboration with the Head of Tax and the Corporate Governance Executive.
- Assist in post transactional implementation.
- As a Senior member of the APAC team, the following other duties will apply but are not exhaustive: management of new Junior Legal resource in region; work with the finance function to ensure that all Corporate Secretarial and Compliance related documents are up to date; assist HR with all legal issues in relation to employees; partake in all weekly calls with platform countries to keep abreast of latest movements and to understand the resourcing need going forward.
What we require?
- Professional law degree, with minimum of 10 years of experience working with commercial transaction, contracts and regulated industries, including time in an international law firm.
- Further specific knowledge of PPA, real estate, finance, utilities, mining rights and corporate governance preferably in power sector is required.
- Strong legal background with commercial acumen would be essential. As well as having a strong legal background, the ideal candidate will be commercially focused and assessing all transactions and projects from an equal legal and commercial viewpoint
- Key KPI’s would include structuring legal contracts that delivers the value and benefits that drives the commercial success for the organization
- Experience in advising complex, strategic projects involving multiple jurisdictions desirable.
- Experience in advising on M&A transaction would be an advantage
- Knowledge of the local utilities/power market and stakeholders.
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong organization and planning skills
- Able to anticipate problems and propose viable solutions
- Use own initiative to propose work methodologies and solutions to problems
- Self-confident and respectful of others
- Good team worker and able to multi-task on various topics
- Fluency in one or more languages where we conduct business in a non-English speaking part of the world
- Prior experience working in a senior legal role with a listed company or highly regulated industry
Why you really should click that button 👇
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, to be part of a diverse workplace with regards to gender, age and cultural background in the most exciting industry in the world today. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary, bonus scheme and share options.
- Training opportunities
- Secondment and relocation opportunities
- Career progression (16% promotions across the Group in 2021)
Shared financial success
- A competitive, industry benchmarked and cost-of-living linked salary, reviewed annually
- Annual bonus
- Share options
- WFH in a hybrid working arrangement
- Allowance for WFH set up
True diversity & inclusion
- Equal opportunity targets
- GWEC Women in Wind and Mainstream Women in Renewables programmes
- You can be you, whatever your gender, colour or sexual orientation
Care for health & wellbeing
- Generous health insurance coverage and allowance where applicable
These are just some of the reasons why we are officially certified as a Great Place to Work.
Apply for this job now and see how we can energise your career!