Mainstream Renewable Power is the leading independent developer of utility-scale wind and solar power plants. The company is focused on delivering a high quality portfolio of more than seven gigawatts of wind and solar assets across high-growth markets in Latin America, Africa and Asia.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions. Since entering the Chilean market in 2009, Mainstream has built up the most comprehensive portfolio of wind and solar energy projects in the country, extending to over 2,000 megawatts across more than 40 projects. The company is also exploring new market opportunities in other countries in LATAM, as has recently opened an office in Bogotá, Colombia.
In South Africa, Mainstream has delivered 600MW of wind and solar assets into commercial operation and is currently constructing a further 250MW of wind farms. In Asia, the company is developing large-scale projects in Vietnam and the Philippines.
Mainstream has raised more than €1.8bn in project finance to date and employs 200 staff across four continents.
Summary of Role:
Mainstream Renewable Power is looking to hire a Head of External Affairs, Communities & Communications to develop and manage the company’s reputation and licence to operate in Chile, and in other relevant regional markets, manage our community relationships and communications. The permanent role will be responsible for creating and delivering external engagement for the company with a range of stakeholders including government and regulators, industry peers, opinion formers and the wider public. The role is part of the LATAM Senior Management Team and reports directly to the General Manager, LATAM, as well as being a senior member of the company’s global corporate affairs team.
What you will do? [Key Responsibilities and Activities]
A key feature of this role will be collaboration, both internally and externally. You will be responsible for proactively developing and managing relationships with external stakeholder organisations and individuals.
- Lead on all external engagement on behalf of the LATAM business, targeting government and other external stakeholders
- Engage with regulators, politicians, media and industry peers on all established and upcoming regulatory developments in our sector within Chile and in our other markets in LATAM.
- Represent the company at external engagements, and prepare other colleagues for relevant external engagement, including media and industry events.
- Provide proactive and reactive PR and media relations support, alongside colleagues, to establish regular coverage in Tier 1 media
- Engage with the group Corporate Affairs team to report on and manage political and reputational risk
- Seek out opportunities to deliver thought leadership and industry advocacy in support of renewable energy and climate change mitigation across our markets
- the successful candidate will oversee the community relations team and the stakeholder relations process for all Mainstream Chile projects, ensuring that they are carried out effectively and aligned with the corporate community strategy and corporate values.
- Develop the community relation strategy, advising Project Managers on stakeholder relations and community initiatives for their projects and propose community budgets.
- Internal collaboration and the ability to work cross-functionally with all departments will be required.
What we require? [Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience]
Our preferred candidate will be educated to degree level.
We are looking for experience of 8+ years working in public affairs, stakeholder engagement, regulatory affairs and communications within a regulated industry, with individuals and organisations at board/government level to build relationships. This will include engaging government, regulators and policy influencers.
Your project management skills have been well honed through your career and in addition to your superb written and verbal communication skills you are a self-starter, highly organised, able to turn complex concepts into clear, simple and structured messages and able to present to internal and external audiences with knowledge, confidence and passion.
Fluency in spoken and written Spanish and English is mandatory.
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a diverse, flexible and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growth industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.