Summary of the Role:
Mainstream Renewable Power is looking for a Grid Engineer to coordinate and deliver grid engineering services to our renewable energy projects across various countries, in cooperation with other Electrical and Grid Engineers and project management functions within the business. The Grid Engineer will play an important role in helping to understand and mitigate project and region-specific risks related to the planned grid interconnection, grid interconnection requirements and processes, and to accelerate and maximise value from Mainstream's global project development pipeline.
The Grid Engineer will be based in the Dublin office and will be a member of the Central Engineering team. The role will entail working primarily on development and pre-construction phase projects in new markets (e.g., Vietnam, Philippines, Australia, USA, Ireland, etc.), and will also include an element of construction and operational project phase support. The role will also include ongoing and regular liaising and planning with Grid and Engineering Team members in the established markets (Chile, South Africa, etc.). The role will also include managing the due diligence of grid-related topics for potential project and portfolio acquisition opportunities in global regions.
Mainstream Renewable Power is the leading independent developer of utility-scale renewable power plants. The company is focused on delivering into operations, a high-quality portfolio of onshore and offshore wind, solar PV, and hybrid assets across high-growth markets in Latin America, Africa, Asia, and others.
Key Responsibilities & Activities:
- Lead project grid network connection planning development and related regulatory body interaction activities in various new markets in cooperation with Grid, Engineering, and Development team members.
- Actively research regional grid network connection and regulatory framework requirements (e.g., regional Grid Codes) in new markets and deploy these in preliminary grid designs and technical discussions and summarize and share these in an effective manner to influence company strategy and project development plans.
- Actively participate in the constructability assessments of green-field and project/portfolio acquisition opportunities in new markets and propose early-stage grid connection strategies.
- Engage with internal technical teams and provide technical support to the project management teams to manage the distribution and transmission grid network connection processes and interactions with the utilities, system operator(s), consultants, contractors, and suppliers.
- Cooperate and coordinate with fellow Central Engineering Team members and liaise with the various multi-disciplinary teams to ensure that Mainstream meets its overall project and portfolio development objectives in new markets in a timely manner.
- Develop new grid and engineering Scopes of Works (SoWs) and Requests for Proposals (RFPs) in cooperation with fellow team members for consultant studies, surveys, designs, and assessments work on new market projects.
- Manage the review of grid consultant reports from project studies, surveys, and assessments conducted in new markets, and feed findings back into the relevant designs, reports, due diligence papers, and others in cooperation with fellow team members.
- Provide preliminary grid and electrical conceptual designs in cooperation with fellow technical team members.
- Review technical grid designs and actively participate in the comments exchange during the project EPC/BOP/TSA contract tendering process run by the Procurement team.
- Undertake research and training in grid best practices, international and national grid & engineering standards, drive project grid innovation and cost reduction opportunities, and evaluate new grid and engineering concepts and technologies together with the technical, development, and innovation teams.
- Undertake regular review and participate in regular updating of Mainstream’s wind, solar and energy storage Employer’s Requirements (ERs) in relation to grid topics in cooperation with global Grid teams.
- Create, manage, and drive participation in a new internal “Global Grid Engineering Committee” to capture and share lessons learned, relevant project experience, and suggestions with global Grid teams. Actively participate in other internal grid committees run by other global grid colleagues, and provide inputs as requested.
- Provide further and new grid information in the relevant sections of Mainstream’s Global Development Standards (GDSs) and liaise with regional Grid teams to collect and manage their inputs.
- Participate in the review and development of Central Engineering team operational procedures and standards, including all team ISO 9001 process documentation and engineering guidelines, models, and templates for annual internal and external audits.
- Attend ongoing local and international training seminars, conferences, workshops, and others for both technical and company policy or standards training, and share experience and knowledge gained from these events with fellow team members. Attend and undertake Continuous Personal Development (CPD) training, reading and tasks for ongoing professional development as part of your membership with “Engineers Ireland” and Mainstream’s employee training guidelines.
- Participate in company-wide digitalisation and innovation programmes. Design and implement grid-related works and processes in line with the Mainstream digitalisation strategy.
Knowledge, Skills and Key Requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or similar.
- 4-10 years’ work experience in the energy industry in similar roles.
- Valid registration (or confirmation of suitability to apply for registration) with “Engineers Ireland” as a member (MIEI).
- Experience in medium and high voltage generating plant design and equipment specifications.
- National Transmission and Distribution Grid Code(s) compliance experience in one or more markets.
- Experience in plant/grid network modelling in PowerFactory, PSSE, PSCAD, or similar is advantageous.
- Experience in the preparation of technical specifications and other technical documents.
- Experience with variable renewable energy generation facilities such as wind or solar PV projects is advantageous.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Strong IT skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, adapt to quickly changing work objectives, and to meet deadlines.
- Strong initiative and the ability to proactively identify required tasks.
- An excellent attention to detail.
- An organised approach to working, task prioritisation, and time management.
- An unencumbered passport without travel restrictions (excluding normal Visa requirements) and valid driver’s licence for infrequent national and international travel.
The Successful Candidate Will:
- Be a genuine team player with a positive outlook and approachable manner.
- Be a highly motivated, dynamic, and detail-orientated self-starter with proven track record of project delivery.
- Be flexible in terms of working arrangements, international travel, and otherwise as may be required.
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market, with plenty of financial capability to meet the demands of a fast-paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary, bonus scheme, pension contribution, healthcare subsidy, life assurance, and potential to participate in company share option scheme, subject to completion of the 6-month probation period.