Reporting to: Commercial Manager
Department: Commercial New Markets
Job Location: Cape Town
Travel required: Local and International Travel as required
Mainstream is a global developer of utility scale wind and solar assets operating across Europe, the Americas, Asia and Africa. Our core business is to develop, build and operate renewable energy plants thereby helping to build a sustainable future – globally and locally.
Mainstream Renewable Power South Africa has been awarded a total of 2.1 gigawatts of wind and solar projects under the Government’s renewable energy procurement programme since the first round in 2011.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late-stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions. In Asia, the company is developing large-scale projects in Vietnam and the Philippines.
In 2021, Mainstream completed a process to find an equity partner to help finance the development and construction of its wind and solar asset pipeline. Our partnership with Aker Horizons enables the Company to strive towards our ambitious targets of securing 5.5 GWs of renewable assets to FC and be IPO ready by 2023. In 2022, an equity partnership with Mitsui strengthened our position and continued our growth trajectory across the world.
Mainstream has raised more than €3.0bn in project finance to date and employs over 500 staff across 11 countries.
Summary of Role:
The Junior Commercial Associate (JCA) role is within the Commercial team of Mainstream South Africa. The key aim of the role is to support the New Markets team focused on new business opportunities, revenue streams, innovative technology integration (solar, wind and batteries - hybrids), financial mechanisms and partnerships.
Activities will cover all aspects of project management to support the sales team, business growth and project implementation. Additionally, the JCA will lead the administration function of the team, ensuring there is synergy between all the team members, documents are filed correctly, notes are taken and a track record is kept of all key decisions.
The JCA will be the backbone of the New Markets team, ensuring the team has all the necessary structures, processes, and information to achieve their goals.
The JCA will also support the wider commercial team’s bidding and financial close processes as and when required.
The key objectives of the role are:
Internal project tasks
- Develop project briefs and presentations for management
- Support project leads with tracking actions and timelines for internal projects
- Provide regular progress reports/updates and ensure team members are aware of key changes, particularly with roles and responsibilities
- Assist with administrative-related activities
- Scheduling of meetings and management of commercial team weekly meetings
- Support new innovations relevant to the business
Sales and Marketing Support
- Provide administrative support (reporting, presentations, company, and market information) for sales team and activities
- Report on the performance of the sales teams on achievement against targets monthly
- Support and develop the database for ongoing sales prospecting
- Use of Sales Administration Tools (CRM Software)
- Increase Brand Awareness by positioning the Mainstream brand as a recognised leading renewable energy player with stakeholders in existing and new markets
- Work with corporate team to manage brand and marketing initiatives
- Perform market and client research, and competitor analysis
What you will do:
- Design and manage the project schedule, budget, and project tasks for assigned projects
- Develop presentations to discuss project status with external and internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with other Mainstream teams (development, energy analysis, procurement, engineering, grid, etc.) to execute tasks and streamline project work
- Manage risk registers, together with mitigation options to overcome those barriers and risks
- Lead project meetings and conference calls for assigned projects
- Work with the departmental teams to ensure that all required consents to invest, build and operate power plants are in place
- Support Risk and Investment committee papers to senior management
- Provide market analysis on energy-related activities in South Africa and Africa
- Provide updates on regulatory changes in South Africa and Africa, with a focus on energy regulators, Government departments, utilities, the Carbon Tax Act, wheeling, energy banking, grid compliance requirements and any other energy related advancements in the region
- Support other Mainstream departments as it relates to commercial activities and outputs
Sales and Marketing Support
- Compiling and qualifying sales leads and support the management of the sales pipeline
- Scheduling customer meetings and conferences/roadshows
- Creating, reviewing/edit proposals and coordinating input from a variety of stakeholders, typically involving contributions from sales, marketing, product teams, finance, commercial, legal and etc.
- Tracking sales leads, creating customer proposals, sales packs and quotations
- Following up on quotes sent out to potential clients
- Keep track of pricing points in the market
- Supporting sales meetings, arranging agendas and managing minutes of meetings
- Compiling daily/weekly/monthly sales reports
- Tracking progress with individual sales processes and scheduling tasks for colleagues
- Co-ordinate with Corporate team to align with company branding
- Supporting development and delivery of advertising/marketing campaigns including digital marketing initiatives
What we require:
- Minimum 3 year degree (Commercially and or technically orientated)
- 2-5 years’ work experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Methodical, organised, reliable, and deliver quality outputs
- Energetic, Self-starter and problem solver
- Motivated to succeed, be challenged, and grow as an individual
- Collaborative team player
- Ability to take ownership and drive tasks as well as help create / modify existing strategy based on analytical learnings (thrive in an efficient work environment)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong relationship building skills
- Strong MS Office skillset (Excel, PowerPoint and Word) a must
- Mindset and ability to work / communicate in a fast-paced environment
What we offer:
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast-paced industry.
You will be working with a team that drives efficiency, is open to innovation and lateral thinking and are hungry to succeed.
You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.