Mainstream Renewable Power is the leading independent developer of utility-scale wind and solar power plants. The company is focused on delivering a high-quality portfolio of more than seven gigawatts of wind and solar assets across high-growth markets in Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Summary of Role:
As the Environmental Manager, you will be responsible to provide expert environment advice in relation to Mainstream´s business in Chile. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring our projects comply with local environmental legislation and that international best practices are adopted. During the construction phase you will be responsible for ensuring compliance with RCA commitments for each project.
What you will do?
The Environmental Manager’s key responsibilities comprise of the following:
- Develop strategies and plans for the company's business in Chile that ensure compliance with the company's global policies and standards in matters of Environment.
- Liaise with colleagues from Global SHEQ, including other functional area managers, to ensure that environmental best practices are shared and adopted.
- Promote and lead the continuous improvement and operationalization of environmental programs, procedures and tools to guarantee compliance with regulatory requirements and the use of best practices in the development and construction of our projects in Chile.
- Be a competent advisor on environment legislation in Chile. This includes monitoring compliance with applicable laws and regulations, keeping abreast of emerging environmental regulations for their applicability and implementation.
- Support the correct operation of the ISO 14.001 standard.
- Support the implementation and certification of the ISO 9.001 standard for the business in Chile.
- Lead the planning and execution of a relationship agenda with environmental authorities and external organizations.
- Establish standards for the execution of environmental studies that ensure the correct identification of risks that may affect the construction or operation of our projects.
- To ensure that all environmental and sectorial permits required are obtained on time, before the start of construction. Manage the implementation and compliance of the environmental requirements during construction and operation.
- Assist in the preparation of environmental requirements to be considered for the works and services procurement process.
- Assist in the review of documentation provided by contractors in environmental matters in order to ensure compliance with the company's requirements.
- Prepare and control project budgets on Environmental matters.
- Ensure the correct issuance of the reports requested by management or the board.
- Monitor and inform environmental performance of our projects in Chile either in development, construction or operational stage, using local information and data to trend and develop forecasts and plans to reduce exposure to risks timely fashion.
- Annual targets – meet targets and expectations as agreed with Global SHEQ and General Manager.
What we require?
The candidate should be equipped with the following key skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team, coordinate and enthuse colleagues and consultants
- Strong initiative and the ability to proactively identify required tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to maintain sight of the ‘big picture’ and overarching objectives at all times
- Good IT skills, including experience with MS Office package.
- An organised approach to working, task prioritisation and time management
- Fluent in Spanish and English (written and spoken).
Education and Experience
- A minimum of 10 years experience in a similar position.
- Engineering or similar professional degree with a postgraduate qualification in Environmental Management.
- Deep knowledge of Environmental regulation.
- Deep knowledge of ISO 14.001 standard.
- Experience in preparation of DIA/EIA for energy projects.
- Experience in managing EPC contractors on Environmental matters.
- Managing teams with proven ability to manage the interfaces with various stakeholders.
- Capable of managing multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Setup and roll out of Environmental strategies.
- Project management skill set required including contract management, contract administration, scheduling, planning, budget preparation and control.
- Capable of managing internal and external resources.
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.