- Understand and develop community engagement plans and positive interventions strategy during project development.
- Manage third party consultants and support the commercial team, responsible for preparing ED and SED REIPPPP bid chapters, ensuring all relevant information is provided based on knowledge acquired for the specific community during development
- Lead ED Managers in EnD activities and total community management during construction, in partnership with the construction team.
- Implement EnD & SED qualitatively in communities during operations to ensure Mainstreams social licence to operate, in partnership with the operations team.
- Identify important corporate and project stakeholders (including government, parastatals, NGOs, local communities) and develop plans to ensure positive relationships with them, using EnD & SED as a method to engage.
- Preparation of Economic Development reports and forecasts for shareholders, financers and the Department of Energy (DoE),
- Monitor contractor Economic Development compliance and report to CEO, Vice President: Projects, the Owner of the project, and the DoE
- Conducting periodical audits on all ED elements of the scorecard
- Establish and prepare governance framework for Trusts.
- Ensure full compliance with the Implementation Agreement
- Manage external and internal audits on all Economic Development elements
- Contract management of service providers implementing SED and EnD initiatives
- Apply all lessons learned throughout the project lifecycle in order to develop a world class company community management system that makes real, positive, measurable and sustainable impact on the communities hosting our projects.
- Support ED managers with input on contractual agreements timeously
- Embedding health and safety standards in community projects
- In-depth understanding of the Socio-Economic needs of the region.
- Liaise with Mainstream Project Managers and Site Managers
Key requirements for success in the role
- Social science degree or development studies related degree (post-graduate qualification preferred)
- Minimum 5 years relevant applicable experience of with 2 in of working unsupervised
- Working with SA government and traditional communities (advantage)
- Understanding and experience of community social dynamics
- Understanding and experience of local government dynamics
- Understanding of legal environment for community engagement and development
- Ability to communicate effectively with local communities
- Excellent writing and reporting skills, as well as good interpersonal relationships.
- Good communication and presentation skills;
- Good command of both English and Afrikaans is essential, an additional South African language would be advantageous
- Drivers licence
- Experience working with the relevant communities where the projects are located would be advantageous.
The preferred candidate will have experience in the South African development sector in some or all of the following areas:
- Education and skills development;
- Socio-economic development (SED);
- Enterprise Development (ED)
- Food security and agri-support;
- Meeting energy needs (hot water, heating, etc);
- Maths and science development;
- Information Services / Technology (IS / IT) development;
- Women headed initiatives;
The successful candidate will likely have:
- Worked as a community development / engagement / liaison role for the private sector or local government;
- Knowledge of the renewable energy project development sector and the process to develop utility scale wind and solar projects would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of the SA Government’s renewable power procurement process would be an advantage.
The role is based in Cape Town and requires regular travel to Springbok.
The company operates in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act), Act 3 of 2013, and by submitting their personal information to us (through the application form, CV and other documentation as required during the recruitment process), candidates agree that the company may utilise their personal information as directed by POPIA.