- Department: Commercial
- Job Location: Cape Town
- Reporting to: Head of Legal & Compliance, SA
- Travel Required: Occasional travel
Mainstream is a global developer of utility-scale wind and solar assets operating across Europe, the Americas, Asia and Africa. Our core business is to develop, build and operate renewable energy plants thereby helping to build a sustainable future – globally and locally.
Mainstream Renewable Power South Africa has been awarded a total of 2.1 gigawatts of wind and solar projects under the Government’s renewable energy procurement programme since the first round in 2011.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late-stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions. In Asia, the company is developing large-scale projects in Vietnam and the Philippines.
In 2021, Mainstream completed a process to find an equity partner to help finance the development and construction of its wind and solar asset pipeline. Our partnership with Aker Horizons enables the Company to strive towards our ambitious targets of securing 5.5 GWs of renewable assets to FC and be IPO ready by 2023. In 2022, an equity partnership with Mitsui strengthened our position and continued our growth trajectory across the world.
Mainstream has raised more than €3.0bn in project finance to date and employs over 500 staff across 11 countries.
Summary of Role:
The purpose of this role is to support the Head of Legal & Compliance in providing high quality advice and specialist support across a broad range of company secretarial tasks and activities, in particular in relation to the smooth running and effectiveness of the Mainstream’s South African subsidiaries, special purpose vehicles, trusts, boards and committees.
The role will work closely with all relevant assurance functions to ensure that all statutory obligations are met and a high standard of Corporate Governance is maintained within the business.
This is a challenging position with wide ranging duties and responsibilities; it will offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market, and in a fast-paced industry.
What you will do?
- Providing company secretarial support for large scale transactions within the group including new joint ventures, financial close of projects going into construction, trade finance facilities, corporate guarantees, mergers and acquisitions;
- Assistance with incorporation of new companies, liquidations/dissolutions and intergroup company re-organisations, and updating and/or generating corporate structure charts as and when required;
- Managing changes to directors and officers on group companies and ensuring the appropriate statutory registers are up to date;
- Preparing powers of attorney, share certificates and share transfer forms, and keeping share registers up to date;
- Preparing various board and shareholder resolutions, in compliance with requirements of the entities’ constitutional documents and the Companies Act;
- Documentation and file management of all constitutional documents, board and shareholder resolutions, share registers, share certificates, CIPC documents and other related company secretarial forms / documents.
- Managing routine company secretarial duties and annual filings as and when required in compliance with South African company law and regulatory requirements;
- Monitor, research and understand relevant legislative and regulatory changes in respect of local governance requirements within South Africa;
- As may be required, assisting with the arrangement and preparation of Board Meetings, notices of meetings, the agenda, record of proceedings and minute taking;
- Assisting with the preparation of Annual Reports and Annual General Meetings (if required);
- As required, provide Board support in meeting corporate governance, statutory and regulatory requirements;
What we require?
- Relevant law degree at Honours level (i.e. LLB, Corporate Law, Commercial Law, etc) OR Registration as a Chartered Secretary (CIS).
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a Company Secretariat department in a public or private sector organisation.
- Strong organisational skills, a confident manner and ability to communicate clearly with individuals across the business, at all levels.
- A key feature of this role will be collaboration, both internally and externally, with the ability to work cross-functionally with all departments.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite.
- Display superior verbal, written, presentation and facilitation skills (fluency in English).
- Previous experience with supporting key transactions such as the financial close of projects, new joint ventures and new market entry is an advantage.
Why you really should click that button 👇
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, to be part of a diverse workplace with regards to gender, age and cultural background in the most exciting industry in the world today. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary, bonus scheme and share options.
- Excellent training (an average 54 hours a year)
- Secondment and relocation opportunities
- Career progression (16% promotions across the Group in 2021)
Shared financial success
- A competitive, industry benchmarked and cost-of-living linked salary, reviewed annually
- Annual bonus
- Share options
- Salary contribution to your pension fund
- WFH in a hybrid working arrangement
- Generous annual leave, plus a community or charity work day each year
- Paid maternity, paternity, adoptive and bereavement leave
- Allowance for WFH set up
True diversity & inclusion
- Equal opportunity targets
- GWEC Women in Wind and Mainstream Women in Renewables programmes
- You can be you, whatever your gender, colour or sexual orientation
Care for health & wellbeing
- Generous health insurance subsidy
- Income protection insurance
- Life cover
- Free Employee Assistance Program
These are just some of the reasons why we are officially certified as a Great Place to Work.
Apply for this job now and see how we can energise your career!