The community relations executive is a graduated professional preferably from the social sciences. He/she will have a minimum of three years working directly with communities throughout Chile. Knowledge of environmental and indigenous legislation is a distinct advantage.
The candidate will be responsible for engaging with stakeholders relevant to Mainstream´s projects in order to carry out community plans developed by the Corporate Affairs and Community Team. The candidate will have the ability to engage with communities of different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds, and will inform the Project Manager and Corporate Affairs and Community Team of the community context and possible social risks.
Purpose of Job:
- Form part of the Community Relations Team, reporting directly to the Community Relations Manager, carrying out all community relations work on the field and in the office.
- Propose community relations strategies to Project Managers and Community Relations Manager to obtain the project´s social license to operate
- Inform Project Manager and Community Relations Manager and Team on all relevant community issues and social risks.
- Reach agreements with communities to obtain social license for projects and contribute to local development.
- Identify community leaders,
- Present Mainstream and explain project to community,
- Obtain information on community´s livelihoods and life systems,
- Obtain information on community´s opinions of Mainstream and its projects,
- Inform Corporate Affairs and Community Relations Manager and Project Managers of relevant community issues and risks,
- Propose context appropriate methodologies to the Corporate Affairs and Community Relations Team to inform community,
- Organize community meetings,
- Support Project Manager in informative community meetings,
- Write minutes of community meetings,
- Perform needs assessment workshops,
- Propose issues to be included in community strategy,
- Propose community communications materials to be developed,
- Track all community stakeholders and documents in Mainstream´s internal community relations system,
- Support Community Relations Team in drafting reports, tracking commitments, and other needed work.
RELATED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
Education and Experience
- Professional degree in social sciences, and three years of experience working in community engagement.
- Knowledge of participatory methodologies.
- Knowledge of environmental and indigenous legislation preferred.
- Knowledge of English preferred.
Organisational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to engage with individuals of different cultures and socioeconomic background,
- Ability to perceive the non-written rules and dynamics of the community organization.
- Patience to adhere to other people´s and cultures´ times.
- Capacity to engage in dialogue with individuals and group leaders of a diversity of backgrounds.
- Count with organizational skills for planning meetings.
- Able to think strategically.
- Able to perceive cultural norms and unwritten rules.
- Able to anticipate problems and propose a viable solution.
- Able to anticipate social risks that may affect a project.
- Show initiative to propose work methodologies and solution to problems.
- Have a courteous and helpful manner.
- Able to maintain respect and confidence with others.
- Be a good team worker and work well other others.
- Able to communicate clearly to varied groups of people
- Must be able to travel 60% of the time.