Summary of the Role:
Mainstream Renewable Power is looking for a Civil Engineer to coordinate and deliver civil engineering services to our renewable energy projects across various countries, in cooperation with other Civil Engineers and project management functions within the business.
The Civil Engineer will play an important role in helping to understand and mitigate project and region-specific risks related to project site topographical, geotechnical, hydrological, seismic, and other natural site characteristics, and to accelerate and maximise value from Mainstream’s global project development pipeline.
The Civil Engineer will be based in the Dublin office and will be a member of the Central Engineering team. The role will entail working primarily on development and pre-construction phase projects in new markets (e.g., Vietnam, Philippines, Australia, USA, Ireland, etc.), and will also include an element of construction and operational project phase support. The role will also include ongoing and regular liaising and planning with Engineering Team members in Mainstream’s established markets (Chile, South Africa, etc.). In addition, the role will include managing the due diligence of Civil Engineering related topics for potential project and portfolio acquisition opportunities in global regions.
Mainstream is a leading independent developer of utility-scale renewable power plants globally. The company is focused on delivering into operations, a high-quality portfolio of onshore and offshore wind, solar PV, and hybrid assets across high-growth markets in Latin America, Africa, Asia, and others.
Key Responsibilities & Activities:
- Lead project civil engineering site assessment and preliminary design activities in various new markets in cooperation with Grid, Engineering, and Development team members.
- Actively research applicable building regulations and potential data sources of geological information in new markets and deploy these in preliminary designs and technical discussions. Summarize and share these in an effective manner to influence company strategy and project development plans.
- Actively participate in the constructability assessments of green-field and project/portfolio acquisition opportunities in new markets and propose early-stage construction strategies.
- Engage with internal technical teams and provide technical support to the project management teams to manage site survey consultants, contractors, and suppliers.
- Cooperate and coordinate with fellow Central Engineering Team members and liaise with the various multi-disciplinary teams to ensure that Mainstream meets its overall project and portfolio development objectives in new markets in a timely manner.
- Develop new engineering Scopes of Works (SoWs) and Requests for Proposals (RFPs) in cooperation with fellow team members for civil engineering consultant studies, surveys, designs, and assessments work on new market projects.
- Manage the review of civil engineering consultant reports from project studies, surveys, and assessments conducted in new markets, and feed findings back into the relevant designs, reports, due diligence papers, and others in cooperation with fellow team members.
- Provide preliminary civil engineering conceptual designs (e.g., access roads, internal site roads, foundation concepts) in cooperation with fellow technical team members.
- Review technical civil engineering designs and actively participate in the comments exchange during the project EPC/BOP/TSA contract tendering process run by the Procurement team.
- Undertake research and training in civil engineering best practices, international and national engineering standards, drive project innovation and cost reduction opportunities, and evaluate new engineering concepts and technologies together with the technical, development, and innovation teams.
- Undertake regular review and participate in regular updating of Mainstream’s wind, solar and energy storage Employer’s Requirements (ERs) in relation to civil engineering topics in cooperation with global technical team members.
- Manage and drive participation in the internal "Global Civil Enginnering Committee" to capture and share lessons learned, relevant project experience, and suggestions with global Civil Engineering teams. Actively participate in other internal civil engineering committees run by other global civil engineering colleagues, and provide inputs as requested.
- Provide further and new engineering information in the relevant sections of Mainstream’s Global Development Standards (GDSs) and liaise with regional Engineering teams to collect and manage their inputs.
- Participate in the review and development of Central Engineering team operational procedures and standards, including all team ISO 9001 process documentation and engineering guidelines, models, and templates for annual internal and external audits.
- Attend ongoing local and international training seminars, conferences, workshops, and others for both technical and company policy and standards training, and share experience and knowledge gained from these events with fellow team members. Attend and undertake Continuous Personal Development (CPD) training, reading and tasks for ongoing professional development as part of your membership with “Engineers Ireland” and Mainstream’s employee training guidelines.
- Participate in company-wide digitalisation and innovation programmes. Design and implement civil engineering-related works and processes in line with the Mainstream digitalisation strategy.
Knowledge, Skills and Key Requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or similar.
- 4-10 years’ work experience in the energy industry in similar roles.
- Valid registration (or confirmation of suitability to apply for registration) with “Engineers Ireland” as a member (MIEI).
- Energy generation plant design and/or construction experience is advantageous.
- National engineering codes and standards compliance experience.
- Experience in QGIS, ArcGIS, Google Earth Pro, or similar software is advantageous.
- Experience in Swiss Re’s CatNet geophysical risk tool or similar is advantageous.
- Experience in the preparation of technical specifications and other technical documents. Strong report writing skills.
- Experience in the development of variable renewable energy generation facilities such as onshore/offshore wind and fixed/tracking solar PV is advantageous.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Strong IT skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, adapt to quickly changing work priorities, and to meet deadlines.
- Strong initiative and the ability to proactively identify required tasks.
- An excellent attention to detail.
- An organised approach to working, task prioritisation, and time management.
- An unencumbered passport without travel restrictions (excluding normal Visa requirements) and valid driver’s licence for infrequent national and international travel.
The Successful Candidate Will:
- Be a genuine team player with a positive outlook and approachable manner
- Be a highly motivated, dynamic, and detail-orientated self-starter with proven track record of project delivery.
- Be flexible in terms of working arrangements, international travel, and otherwise as may be required.
What we offer?
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market, with plenty of financial capability to meet the demands of a fast-paced industry. You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary, bonus scheme, pension contribution, healthcare subsidy, life assurance, and potential to participate in company share option scheme, subject to completion of the 6-month probation period.