Reporting to: Commercial Manager
Department: Commercial: New Markets
Job Location: Cape Town
Travel required: Local and International Travel as required
Mainstream is a global developer of utility scale wind and solar assets operating across Europe, the Americas, Asia and Africa. Our core business is to develop, build and operate renewable energy plants thereby helping to build a sustainable future – globally and locally.
Mainstream Renewable Power South Africa has been awarded a total of 2.1 gigawatts of wind and solar projects under the Government’s renewable energy procurement programme since the first round in 2011.
In Chile, Mainstream owns 1.3GW of fully contracted wind and solar projects in operation, in construction or at late-stage development, due to its unprecedented success in government auctions. In Asia, the company is developing large-scale projects in Vietnam and the Philippines.
In 2021, Mainstream completed a process to find an equity partner to help finance the development and construction of its wind and solar asset pipeline. Our partnership with Aker Horizons enables the Company to strive towards our ambitious targets of securing 5.5 GWs of renewable assets to FC and be IPO ready by 2023. In 2022, an equity partnership with Mitsui strengthened our position and continued our growth trajectory across the world.
Mainstream has raised more than €3.0bn in project finance to date and employs over 500 staff across 11 countries.
Summary of Role:
The Business Development Associate (BDA) role is within the Commercial team of Mainstream South Africa. The key aim of the role is to support the New Markets team focused on new business opportunities & revenue streams, innovative technology integration (wind, solar and batteries - hybrids), financial mechanisms and partnerships.
Activities will cover all aspects of sales, marketing, business development, account management, customer relations management (CRM), tender and proposal structuring, stakeholder engagement, internal team engagement, and administrative & Support Functions.
The Commercial Sales Associate will also support the wider commercial team’s bidding and financial close processes as and when required.
The key objectives of the role are:
Business Development and Sales
- Drive sales and business development initiatives to acquire new customers and meet company revenue objectives
- Develop and implement administrative procedures to drive energy sales and customer service
- Develop a service offering that is robust, market competitive and scalable
- Provide sales and service-related information as required based on sales and service activities
- Report on the performance of the sales team regarding achievement against targets monthly
- Manage sales pipelines and lead database to support ongoing sales prospecting
- Implement and manage Sales Administration Tools (CRM Software)
Marketing and Brand Awareness
- Support product brand and image
- Work with corporate branding team to manage brand and marketing initiatives
- Perform market and client research, and competitor analysis
- Assist with social media and website content
- Organize and manage marketing/product collateral
- Attend trade shows, company marketing initiatives
What you will do:
Business Development and Sales Management
- Sell Renewable Energy Solutions to medium and large companies
- Pitch offering to CEOs, CFOs and CTOs
- Identify and engage prospective clients and promote product & services
- Developing strategic and tactical sales channels and new business development opportunities
- Analyse customer requirements together with the commercial team and ensure our offering meet customer needs
- Prepare proposals, quotes, contracts, or presentations for potential customers
- Explain technical product or service information and financial information to customers
- Provide technical information about renewable energy, legal and regulatory processes, and services to potential customers
- Keep informed of competing products/services (public and private companies) and keep abreast of relevant sales techniques to ensure the team remains ahead
- Maintain and develop organizational culture, values, and reputation in its markets and with all staff, customers, suppliers, partners and regulatory/official bodies
- Regular travel to customer locations for business meetings and to deliver presentations
This is a sales focused role – The individual must have a hunter mindset with a strong ability to identify and cultivate new relationships with the objective of converting sales to meet set targets.
- Managing relationship dynamics with customers and other stakeholders
- Develop automated process to manage clients
- Managing customer accounts, following up with customers for administrative purposes
- Comfortable with developing 20-year energy partnerships/relationships
- On/off-boarding of customers
- Responding to any customer inquiries
- Effective communication with customers (phone/email/in person)
- Positive relationships with other departments that help facilitate customer service
- Billing queries and customer retention
- Go getter – someone who is uncomfortable with any product, person or business outplaying them
- Consultative Solution Selling (Influencing Others)
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Analysing Data or Information
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
What we require:
- We are looking for an ambitious person with relevant experience from the renewable energy sector to drive sales and business development with technical expertise within field.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Management, Marketing, or technical background (engineering) with sales experience
- Minimum 5 years’ Sales/Business development Experience in Renewable Energy
- > 5MW of RE sales negotiated (EPC or PPA basis) OR
- > 5MW of key component sales (panels, inverters, turbines)
- > 10MW of RFPs, EOIs compiled and submitted
- Contract negotiation
- Track record of meeting and exceeding sales targets
- Understanding of energy stakeholders (Eskom, IPP, Offtakers)
- Understanding of licensing, registration, connection and PPAs
- Understanding of key sales points (pricing, decision makers, lead times, benefits, BEE requirements)
- Successfully implemented a client acquisition strategy
- Eager to build a professional energy sales team
- Open to travel and one-on-one client negotiations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Energetic, Self-starter and problem solver
- Motivated to succeed, comfortable being challenged and growing as an individual
- Lateral thinker, continuously improving the business model
- Collaborative team player
Strong MS Office skillset (Excel, PowerPoint and Word) a must
Existing client and municipal network a bonus
What we offer
We offer you the opportunity to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial organisation, in a growing market in a fast-paced industry.
You will be working with a team that drives efficiency, is open to innovation and lateral thinking and are hungry to succeed.
You will receive a very competitive total benefits package including an excellent base salary and bonus scheme.