SMart Wind the 50:50 joint venture between Mainstream and Siemens is developing the 6GW Hornsea Zone, as part of The Crown Estate’s Round 3 programme.
Mainstream is unique in that it was the only non-utility to win a licence under the UK Round 3 competition. There were nine zones available in the competition and Mainstream won development rights for one of the three largest zones. Major utilities with big balance sheet capabilities won the other eight zones. Mainstream was incorporated just over one year and three months when it won the licence against some of the biggest utilities in the world. It makes us the leading offshore developer in Europe.
SMart Wind is the only supply chain led consortium in the Round 3 programme and has key relationships with leading supply chain companies including Siemens T&DL, Siemens Wind Power, EMU Limited, RPS and Fugro GeoConsulting.
The development strategy involves consenting the Zone in four phases.
- Submitted Project One for examination to the Planning Inspectorate in July 2013.
- Grid connection secured for 2GW.
- DONG Energy acquired 33.3% stake in project one.
- Gained triple certification award from Lloyds Register.
- 5-year geotechnical framework agreement signed with Fugro GeoConsulting.
- Installed the world’s first ‘twisted jacket’ foundation for its met mast.
- Currently in the process of the second series of public consultation events in the region.