In Europe, the company is advancing three offshore projects of over 5.6GW in Scotland, England and Germany. Mainstream is recognised as a thought leader in the offshore wind sector where it continues to shape the market in areas such as interconnection through the Supergrid and SuperNode®. The company is pioneering new engineering concepts such as the installation of the world’s first “twisted jacket” foundation and it continues its efforts towards reducing the cost of energy, risk reduction and performance optimisation.
The company’s business model involves identifying an area of sea, obtaining a licence to develop it and securing the full planning permits to put a wind farm there. In parallel, Mainstream negotiates all the major construction and services contracts in order to take the project to a stage where it is fully designed, fully engineered and all the key components are secured. At this point Mainstream sells the project so that the owner can immediately reach financial close and build the project.
At a glance:
- Over 5.6GW in development offshore.
- Projects in Scotland, England and Germany.
- Pioneering the Supergrid.
- More than ten years offshore experience.
- Installing world’s first “twisted jacket” foundation.
- Grid connection received for two projects.
- On track to start construction in 2014.
- Scoping global offshore opportunities.