- Irish wind energy has the potential to power an electricity market 19 times the size of our own, presenting a clear export opportunity.
- The UK market in contrast has a significantly higher electricity demand, is behind schedule to meet its legally binding 2020 renewable energy target, and has the political will to import to meet this goal in time.
- The solution = The Irish Energy Bridge, which will facilitate up to 5,000MW (5GW) of new wind energy onshore and offshore for direct export to the UK by 2020.
- Energy Bridge will be independent of the current lengthy Irish national grid queue, and will allow for selected projects to be built that otherwise would not be possible.
- Phase 1: 1,200MW onshore wind from the Irish midlands, will be operational and earning income in 2017.
- Energy Bridge will realise world-first innovative technologies to be deployed later as part of the Supergrid.
- No overhead lines. All transmission infrastructure will remain underground.
- Mainstream alone has the vision, expertise, track record, financial & political ability to realise Energy Bridge.
If you have further questions please refer to our Energy Bridge FAQ page