2012/2013 – Development total: 19,690MW
Construction starts on six projects in Ireland, South Africa, Chile and Canada. Offshore projects achieve significant milestones and major fundraising closed.
- Marubeni Corporation and Mainstream agree EURO 100 million equity investment equivalent to a 25% shareholding in Mainstream.
- Neart na Gaoithe offshore wind farm in Scotland receives onshore planning consent.
- Six wind and solar projects commence construction.
- 8MW Carrickeeny wind farm, Ireland
- 138MW Jeffreys Bay wind farm, South Africa
- 50MW Droogfontein solar PV farm, South Africa
- 50MW DeAar solar PV farm, South Africa
- 33MW Negrete Cuel wind farm, Chile
- 9MW Knockaneden wind farm (operational late 2012).
- Set up new joint venture in Chile with Actis, ‘Aela Energia’ to build 600MW of renewable energy projects.
- IKEA purchase Carrickeeny wind farm – Mainstream will continue to operate and maintain the wind farm on behalf of IKEA.
- 450MW Neart na Gaoithe offshore wind farm makes submission for key consents.
- Launched 5,000MW Energy Bridge project which will export onshore and offshore wind energy from Ireland to the UK starting in 2018.
- Secured grid connection from National Grid for Energy Bridge.
- Signed MoU with National Grid and REN of Portugal to develop, finance, build, own and operate Energy Bridge transmission system.
- BSH Stakeholder conference held in March 2013 for Horizont offshore wind farm in Germany.
2011 – Development total: 15,500MW
Significant win in South Africa, sold first offshore project and onshore projects move towards construction.
- Awarded 238MW of wind and solar contracts in South Africa under the Government’s first renewable energy procurement programme. Projects to start operating from mid-2014.
- DONG Energy acquired 33.3% stake in the first two offshore wind projects in the Hornsea Zone.
- Hornsea Zone became the first Round 3 project to successfully install a met mast.
- Secured Agreement for Lease (AfL) from the Crown Estate for Neart na Gaoithe and Hornsea Zone (Project 1).
- Secured grid connection for the second 1,000MW of the Hornsea Zone.
- Awarded Lloyds Register for Quality Assurance (LRQA) in offshore business for Safety, Health, Environment and Quality.
- Entered Irish market.
2010 – Development total: 14,000MW
Major progress offshore, sold first wind farm and raised additional funds for expansion.
- Secured grid connection for the 450MW Neart na Gaoithe offshore project.
- SMart Wind (50/50 joint venture between Siemens and Mainstream) was awarded exclusive rights by The Crown Estate to develop and build 6,000MW of wind farms off the UK’s east coast by 2020, Hornsea Zone.
- Secured grid connection for the first 1,000MW of the Hornsea Zone.
- Sold Shady Oaks wind farm in the USA (106MW) to Goldwind following successfully winning 20 year offtake contract run by the Illinois Power Agency.
- Launched Friends of the Supergrid (FOSG) with ten founding members.
2009 – Development total: 8,000MW
Established key partnerships and started onshore and offshore development.
- Awarded exclusive rights to develop GBP1.1 billion Neart na Gaoithe offshore wind farm in Scottish waters with a potential capacity of 450MW.
- Acquired onshore wind portfolio of 787MW in Illinois, USA.
- Signed joint venture with Alberta Wind Energy Corporation to develop and build 400MW in Alberta, Canada.
- Signed joint venture with Genesis Eco-Energy to develop and build over 500MW in South Africa.
- Commenced development work on 1,200MW Horizont offshore wind farm in Germany.
2008 – Development total: 400MW
Founded and started to scope global opportunities.
- Company founded by Eddie O’Connor and Fintan Whelan after selling Airtricity to SSE and EO-N for EURO 2 billion.
- Signed joint venture with Andes Energy to develop and build an initial pipeline of 400MW in Chile.